Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do I see so many 73 and 74 novas with 4" steel cowls when nobody makes them, only for 68-72. I think they are the same minus the trim piece but they still have there 73 trim on perfectly. Am I missing something? im wanting (possibly needing) a 4" steel cowl and can not find one :confused:

·
6,523 Posts
How come we see so many 73/74's with tucked bumpers but no one makes the kit to do it or how many times have I seen a 73/74 with 68-72 bumpers and no one makes a complete kit ?. :mad:

We "Nova" people are a bunch of engineer's and fabricators some times and while I use pictures to see things, sometimes a photo does not show how well things actually fit. :D

Personally I would get the hood you need and then modify, engineer, or whatever to get the later model hood edge trim to fit. I know the lips are pretty close to being the same between the 68-72 and the 73/74 hoods and it might just require a little tweaking of the lip.

Possibly too do a search on this site and see what shows up.

I too have seen my share of cowl hoods on Nova's and PLEASE fit the thing and do test fits before applying the paint to it. Too many times I've seen the edges of the hood not be flush and even with the top of the fenders and then after it's been painted, the person asks what they can do to fix things. Same way with the gaps.

Jim

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually they do make a complete kit :yes: was asking to see if someone knew of one im not finding, or if people just "shave" fill in the large trim imprint that the smaller 73 trim wouldn't fill. Obviously you can make just about anything work with fabbing but maybe someone knew of a better way or had pictures of how they did it to help me go off of. Usually forums like this have members who like to help others learn, forgive me for trying to learn more

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,337 Posts
Years ago I could not find what I wanted and ended up glassing on a fiberglass L88 scoop to a stock hood. That part was not that hard but modifying the under supports of the hood to make it functional and clear the air cleaner was tough. Basically had to cut the supports and fab in round pieces of steel to make room for a 14" air cleaner. Lots of work but worth the experience. I might do it again here very soon.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you have fab skills or know someone who does it's not hard to make your own hood. I did both of these and I did one for my buddy's 64 also.
DSCN4015.jpg

DSCN4008.jpg

LakeLand1.jpg

My buddy's 64
1414846556395.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
4 inch cowl hood for 74 nova

I am building my wifes car and have made 3.5 inch hood. I am a welder by trade,I just took some measurements and a cutoff tool and went to cutting. Am makeing ajustment as I go but is looking great so far! Doug

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Im in same boat...cant find much for my 65'. In need of more metal or even cf options. No thanx on anything fiberglass. If it was decent cf, least i could eventually paint over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts