Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing a 4 speed swap on my Nova. So far I have a "383" bellhousing and a 2 groove Sag 4 speed. I need to know if the ball-stud for the z bar goes in the bellhousing or the block? The bellhousing I have doesn't have a hole for it. Do I need to drill and tap one or what?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the 383 bell, is that a '62-'67 bell housing? if so you'd be much better off getting a 3rd genner bell housing... otherwise you'll have problems hooking up the linkage.

the Z bar pivot goes into the engine block and on the frame. not in the bell...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it was used in various applications ranging from 64-72. Ok cool. My friend has a "621" in his Nova and it has a threaded hole for the ball stud in the bell-housing. I'm just trying to make sure I have the right parts together so far. Is there any reason why the "383" bell won't be good for my swap? I'm running a mildly built 350 so the 10.4" clutch should be just fine for my car.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Make sure your flywheel will fit inside the bell housing you have...i just done a 4spd swap on my 70 and using the 168 tooth flywheel I had to have a 621 bell housing. I bought a new one from ....Johns Classic Cars ...in douglasville ga for $169 plus the ride hope this helps you out.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
The ball goes into the block with a bracket on the frame for the other end of the z bar. I think there is a threaded hole above the oil filter and holes on the frame for the bracket that holds the z bar. Don't forget to grease the z bar.

Why not use a scattershield from lakewood if you have to buy something? Keeps everything together if there is some issues with the clutch. though that Sag would probably go first.

Some of the Nova vendors have complete kits to convert over to a four speed. Ground Up comes to mind.

Ray

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From everything i can find, the "383" bell will be just right for my application with a 10.4" clutch. I'm assuming all SBC's have the right hole in the block for the ball stud? Assuming that the ball-stud does go in the block for a 68-74 nova application, I should be good to go. Also, SBC crankshafts are all pre-drilled for a pilot bearing correct? I remember from when I was younger and I used to mess with Mopars the cranks are only drilled for a pilot bearing if the motor was originally mated to a m/t car.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I believe it was used in various applications ranging from 64-72. Ok cool. My friend has a "621" in his Nova and it has a threaded hole for the ball stud in the bell-housing. I'm just trying to make sure I have the right parts together so far. Is there any reason why the "383" bell won't be good for my swap? I'm running a mildly built 350 so the 10.4" clutch should be just fine for my car.
The ball inside the bellhousing, is the fork pivot ball on a 621. The Z bar will have it's own ball on one end that bolts to a plate on the frame and the other end sit on a ball that goes into the block for the 3rd gen cars, as mentioned above.:yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts