Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a tranny swap from a sag. 3 speed to this sag 4 speed...but I'm not sure what these electrical plugs are for...One next to reverse and one next to 1st..lil help please..Thank you....

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-04-05

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-04-

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-04-0505

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
What year is the transmission from? The rear one can be used for backup lights. I don't know why they would put a switch on the 3/4 shift lever. These look to be simple ground switches so you can do whatever you want with them.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is the transmission from? The rear one can be used for backup lights. I don't know why they would put a switch on the 3/4 shift lever. These look to be simple ground switches so you can do whatever you want with them.
Thanks...The casting numbers state that the trans is from a 68 camaro....

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I bet that casting number is more like from a 1978 Camaro. Anyhow, the one by reverse is for the back up lights, the one on the 3-4 is more than likely for the emissions control system on the car. It was more than likely part of the T.C.C. system.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
It could be a 68. I know 77 Camaro Saginaw tranys didn't have either switch. Eitherway, you have a convienent backup light switch and a way to know if you are in 4th gear.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bet that casting number is more like from a 1978 Camaro. Anyhow, the one by reverse is for the back up lights, the one on the 3-4 is more than likely for the emissions control system on the car. It was more than likely part of the T.C.C. system.
I think this is more of the era as well. Could it be for cruise control to only work in high gear?

·
Registered
167 Posts
might be mistaken, but four speed should have 3 selectors,, 3-4, 1-2, reverse. trans pictured would be 3 speed , no reverse lever on tail shaft housing just my opion ed

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
No, that's a 4 speed. On a Saginaw, all three levers are on the side cover, nothing in the tail shaft.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is it your thoughts that the reverse switch is the one closest to the rear housing. I have the switch now.. tranny's out.. I just fixed the speedo driven gear, in the rear housing.. I just want to make sure.. Is the shift linkage closest to the bell housing the reverse linkage??? I should have checked before removing the tranny...:eek::mad: The photos I posted are the Sag 4 speed..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts