Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thank you for everyone’s help to get the car to this point. Slow going because of my work schedule.
Rebuilt the trans, went through the engine, got the correct V8 and 4 speed conversions installed. Originally had the 11” clutch and big flywheel so didnt plan on having to replace all that as well but here I am. The hooker headers fit absolutely perfect (had to get a mini starter) and couldn’t be happier compared to how hacked up everything was before.
My question this time: according to everything ive read on the 4 speed humps, none of them fit well. That is fine i can metal work. But does the opening typically sit this close to the shifter? There is no rubbing in second or fourth gears but it’s a little close for my comfort. I included a few other pics of the current progress too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,131 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, I only have my 73 experience to go by, BUT:
I think you have a T-10 tranny with a Hurst shifter.
I replaced a Muncie with a T-10 and the Hurst shifter was pushed back 2-3" , we had to extend the shifter hole back that far. we also had to shorten the DS. My bench seat is all the way back.....I can bring it forward maybe one notch before the shifter would hit it.

I eventually went with the truck bench seat shifter, obnoxiously big but also very cool.

The tranny is longer , but I threw away the Muncie before so I couldn't measure . The linkage may be mounted further back as well, IDK.

If you move the engine forward.......the bottom pulley and sometimes the oil pan hits on the cross member, that's why you sometimes see Novas with notches cut in there.

I don't have the hump, I have a hole.

I would notch the hump to accommodate the new shifter linkage with maybe 1/2" clearance and drive her.

GL , hope this helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, I only have my 73 experience to go by, BUT:
I think you have a T-10 tranny with a Hurst shifter.
I replaced a Muncie with a T-10 and the Hurst shifter was pushed back 2-3" , we had to extend the shifter hole back that far. we also had to shorten the DS. My bench seat is all the way back.....I can bring it forward maybe one notch before the shifter would hit it.

I eventually went with the truck bench seat shifter, obnoxiously big but also very cool.

The tranny is longer , but I threw away the Muncie before so I couldn't measure . The linkage may be mounted further back as well, IDK.

If you move the engine forward.......the bottom pulley and sometimes the oil pan hits on the cross member, that's why you sometimes see Novas with notches cut in there.

I don't have the hump, I have a hole.

I would notch the hump to accommodate the new shifter linkage with maybe 1/2" clearance and drive her.

GL , hope this helps
It’s definitely a Muncie. M21 from Nov 67 so im positive of that. The only thing i am not 100% on is the installation kit from Hurst that i used. They both fit the 451 type Muncie and use the same mounting holes on the tailshaft but one mounts with spacers versus the bracket in the kit i have. Either way its mounted i couldnt see it putting the shifter farther forward in the hole. ?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
fine tuning

in my experience using Hurst gate and linkage, even the factory four speed floor stampings had to be modified or should I say cut to make everything work correctly. when I purchased my 1963 hardtop it had a Borg Warner T-10 four speed and some type of Hurst setup. my car had been converted in late in 1964 by the original owner. when I restored the car I had the floor stamping repaired I was fortunate to have an unmolested floor stamping from back in the day. I have a M-22 and new old stock Muncie gate, linkage and handle in my car and it performs flawlessly. I could not chop my floor stamping up!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in my experience using Hurst gate and linkage, even the factory four speed floor stampings had to be modified or should I say cut to make everything work correctly. when I purchased my 1963 hardtop it had a Borg Warner T-10 four speed and some type of Hurst setup. my car had been converted in late in 1964 by the original owner. when I restored the car I had the floor stamping repaired I was fortunate to have an unmolested floor stamping from back in the day. I have a M-22 and new old stock Muncie gate, linkage and handle in my car and it performs flawlessly. I could not chop my floor stamping up!!

Beautiful set up you have. I have no problem modding the aftermarket one so long as that is normal. Was a little shocked to find the fitment so far off as nicely as everything else has gone together. Is your carpeting from Stock Interiors?

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
Hi Aaron

i would agree -- it looks too far back.
(but, I'm a 3rd gen guy)

why, I say that is : it might clear & shift ok ... but, when you install your shifter 'boot' ... will it fit ok ? get what I mean ?
Most rubber boots - kinda center the cut-out handle opening ... ?

more like dealer-deuce ... handle & boot are more centered with each other .

what do I know ...... just talking ...... jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
I figured my '70 Nova started life as an automatic due to the steering column. And now it has a Muncie M21 with Hurst linkage. I was wondering if my trans tunnel was out of a Nova but by looking at these pic's I'd say no... Hope I have enough room for my linkage Lol... It had a center council hiding the hole but I took it out. Don't like center councils...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts