Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips or tricks for cutting the shifter hole in the floor of a 71 Nova? The car is a bench seat car, going from a TH350 to a M22. Pretty sure I have it figured out but it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,127 Posts
From experience of "fixing " PO hole......start with a much smaller hole than you think you will need, be patient and you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All suggestions were exactly where I was headed :cool: What is the proper fastener for the boot ring to the floor? A sheet metal screw or should I get fancy and use nutserts? Sugestions?

Thank you

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,127 Posts
I used self taping sheet metal screws, shortest that would work. Covered the bottom sheet metal with undercoating when done before I put the tranny in.

The hardest part of this is getting the top ring holes to line up with the mounting plate, threw the rubber and carpet......

·
Registered
301 Posts
I used self taping sheet metal screws, shortest that would work. Covered the bottom sheet metal with undercoating when done before I put the tranny in.

The hardest part of this is getting the top ring holes to line up with the mounting plate, threw the rubber and carpet......
For sure...I know of no good way to easily find the holes once you remove it for any maintenance or whatever. Patience!
And start smaller than you think...or you get a result like what I did in this post...worked out ok...maybe the pictures will help you in some way.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5540106&postcount=112

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For sure...I know of no good way to easily find the holes once you remove it for any maintenance or whatever. Patience!
And start smaller than you think...or you get a result like what I did in this post...worked out ok...maybe the pictures will help you in some way.
Ouch, i have done enough welding on the floorpans already, don't want to create more work for myself than I already have. This simple swap has turned into an exhaust rework, interior remodel, and some front & rear susp work. Some things I had planned to do, other's had to be dealt with to make it right. The upside is I am going to get the car I set out for 10 years ago, mechanically at least. The project is never done, it just evolves.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,931 Posts
you asked : 'shifter hole' in my 69 Nova for my T 5 5speed shifter.

everyone likes "Pictures ........ pictures are golden"

#1 .. mark under floor for cut lines

#2 .. I did not 'remove my front seat or floor-mat ... just cut right through the floor mat.

#3 .. DO - NOT make your "hole too big" . I used my 'boot trim ring'

#4 .. I even made my hole smaller than I had marked .. worked good.

#5 .. you can see where I had the 1st holes drilled .... I drilled new holes closer together (smaller) -- I used my 'metal nibbler' and cut between those holes
RED dots were 1st marks.

I like pictures --- I hope this helps .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts