Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I got a saginaw 4 speed. What are the weak points in them, cause I'm wanting to put some power to it. So what can I do to make it stronger or am I better off getting a different tranny?

·
Registered
532 Posts
They are not bad trannys and will hold a little bit of power. The weak point that I have found in them is the case. I have spilt several cases on them. The gears seem strong but the case sucks. If I had my choice I would see if I could find a 5 speed, that way you get the overdrive and can still run steep gears.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I went through those things like changing underwear. The bearings kept going out and couldn't really get them to shift very good either. I would highly recommend one of the newer trans. In my Pro Street Nova I put a Richmond 5 speed in and ran a 3.50 rear gear. I set it up so if I wanted to run it at the strip, I would use only the first 4 gears. It worked out to 6,500RPM at 125mph in 4th gear. Fifth gear was for cruising. Tremec makes a strong piece. If you will be racing a lot, definitely go with something like a Jerico, Lenco, Liberty etc. They are more money but you won't have to worry about breakage.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had one in mine for over 20 years and it has seen some abuse:yes:
JR
Hey your from my neck of the woods :D lol. What times are you running with yours?

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you are going to be speed shifting with a decent amount of power, and using drag slicks, I would switch to a Ford top loader, or Chrysler A833 transmission. Some people have good luck with a Borg Warner ST10. The ST10 lasted for one launch in my car using slicks.
X2 :yes::yes::yes: If you have to use a helical cut gear box, his suggestions are the best (A833 or T-Loader). The ST10 would be my third choice, unless you can find one with the high nickel gear set and an iron case.

Spend the money and do it right the first time, or spend less and do it 5 times, your choice. High horse power and sticks break parts. But I wouldn't dare install an automatic.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts