Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for 1966 cars; did those factory equipped with a 4 speed have an extra brace under the dash/pedal area to prevent or minimize firewall flexing when the clutch pedal is pushed in? If so, can someone provide information, perhaps a picture of this. I converted a 2 door post car from an auto to a 4 speed and find the firewall flexes a little and have been told the factory installed an extra brace on all manual cars to prevent this.

Thank you in advance for any and all help with this.

Thomas

·
Registered
150 Posts
Extra brace...

Hmmm... I will have to look next time I converted to a 4 speed but I haven't noticed any dash flexing but I did only drive the car into storage.

I will look next time I am there...

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Question for 1966 cars; did those factory equipped with a 4 speed have an extra brace under the dash/pedal area to prevent or minimize firewall flexing when the clutch pedal is pushed in? If so, can someone provide information, perhaps a picture of this. I converted a 2 door post car from an auto to a 4 speed and find the firewall flexes a little and have been told the factory installed an extra brace on all manual cars to prevent this.

Thank you in advance for any and all help with this.

Thomas
What type of pressure plate did you use? 3 finger?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of pressure plate did you use? 3 finger?

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Dave, I'm using a Centerforce Dual Friction diaphragm clutch and pressure plate at present but I have used a long style clutch as well. The effort to push the clutch pedal does not seem excessive at all. In normal street driving it's not a problem. Just wondered if there's a factory brace that should be retro fitted to the car to mimic what was done at the factory?

Thanks.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
There was an extra reinforcing bar from the "third" brake booster hole on power brake cars, but nothing that I am aware of on the clutch cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts