Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havn't had my 65 Nova but a few days. The first thing I wanted to do to this very nice car was get rid of the Turbo 350 and install a Borg Warner 4 speed I had in the shop. Man did that idea turn out bad.

The problem I WAS having was the linkage. I bought one of those change over linkage kits. This kit included almost everything to install the stock type linkage---Z bar and the linkage pieces to adapt all of that to the Crate 350 "NON" Chevy II engine I have in the car. Well none of that stuff would work. The bracket that bolts to the engine with the bell crank ball was way to high, the Z bar was at least an inch to long, the 4 speed Hedman headers I installed would not even begin to let the Z bar fit and on and on. I returned that kit and they shipped me the correct one "THEY SAID" trouble was with the new kit was The Z bar was about an inch to long, and the ball bell crank thing was way to high. And I still had the same Hedman Header problem. Man that is like Deju Vu or something. After 4 days of trying I finally gave up and reinstalled the Turbo. So know I have the only three pedal Turbo 350 Nova on the planet, but it does at least have three pedals. Baby steps...

I now am going to go Hydraulic, I have all of the pieces ( I think ) to do this. But I really need some help from you guys with a pedal and master cylinder. Anyone done this swap? There is an electrical (stock) Box moulded into the firewall right in the way of mounting a master cylinder. There has to be a way to do this. Anyone got some advice?

Here's a picture of some of the stuff I do have.

Thanks Roland

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No body has an idea it would seem. Must be the clutch linkage problem I am having is new and inique, who would have thought that?

Either that or may deodarant has completly failed me!

Roland

·
Registered
438 Posts
You're not quite alone, I have a 3 pedal Powerglide Nova. I went the other way though, from a 4 speed to an auto. I'd sell you the linkage but I'd kind of like to keep it around just in case I decide to revert back sometime in the next 20 years or so and I don't want to have to hunt it all down again. Not sure but I believe you need fenderwell headers for a stock linkage 4 speed. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
linkage issues

Well you have a few choices, my 66 came with a t5 and the accompanying hydraulics from a mid 80's early 90's camaro. It sort of worked, but in truth was more than a little crude. I have replaced this lash-up with a McLeod hydraulic throw out bearing and a Wilwood 3/4" bore master cylinder. The master cyl. uses a small plastic remote reservoir which is easily mounted on the firewall. Not easy not cheap but it does work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,Are they the parts in the picture? the scattershields appear to be the wrong ones.The fork needs to come out on an angle about 7or 8 oclock.the z bar is a funny looking s shaped thing its the same for a 6 cyl.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
squid--- That is in fact the scatter shield bellhousing I was trying to make work. I only found out today on another Nova site, that the Nova's had a unigue bellhousing. To say that that one is wrong is correct but that wasn't the real problem I was having, as a matter of fact I never got that far for that to be a problem. The Z bar in that picture is "NOT" the one I had for the Nova, that is a spare I had for my 55 Chevy, I returned all of the Nova stuff.

Plumouth Coupe--- Glad to hear that you are having succes with your Juice throw-out bearing. I have done a lot of research into this and still don't have many answers, but everyone and I mean everyone I talked to said " DO NOT even try a hydraulic throw out bearing"

I do have a couple of questions for you. Are you saying that you used a Wildwood cylinder and pedal assemply? Mounted where? Another words was the master mounted under the dash with a remote reservoir? Or did you mount the master under the hood? and if you did that-- Why did you need the remote reservoir? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Roland

·
Registered
906 Posts
you can use that bellhouseing even thou its not the correct one.i had that houseing in my car for years.still have the custom stuff i made to use the wrong houseing and non nova block.in a 63 nova with fenderwell dougs headers.used that setup for years.i can take pics.of the linkage parts and send them to you if you want,plus how to build your own linkage its real simple to copy the stuff i made work
don

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
linkage issues

Roland,I used a Nova pedal,fabbed a pushrod,built an angled adapter to mount the cylinder, and mounted said master cylinder to the firewall. The remote reservoir was to compensate for the steep angle the m. cyl was mounted at and also as a matter of convenience as in I hate pouring brake fluid all over everything. anyhow don't weaken, if nothing else these projects build moral fiber..... best wishes Steve

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Remember

No body has an idea it would seem. Must be the clutch linkage problem I am having is new and inique, who would have thought that?

Either that or may deodarant has completly failed me!

Roland
those lakewood scatter shield create their own set of problems, I installed on on my GTo, and it wa sas major paint in the you know what, the clutch arm would bottom, so I had to go buy yet more parts to make it work

S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts