Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if this tranny with bell housing would fit my 350 (1981) engine? Truck had a 283 engine, but it's seized. Thx a ton,
David

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Need pics or trans model to tell you much of anything.If its a compound low type 4 speed no way,but its an old truck and could have anything in it now.Nova bell housing is Nova only so the truck one will NOT work

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would disagree...a little. It should physically bolt up but as 404 points out the bellhousing on a stock nova is unique because it clocked so the fork opening is in 7 o clock position. This is important if you want to use stock clutch linkage.

If you want to use a hydraulic slave actuator or throw-out bearing it would not be important necessarily.

Probably more of an issue issue is a the truck transmission itself. Assuming it is actually a truck transmission. You won't be happy with the driveability in car . First gear will be essentially useless. That gear is meant for getting a lot of weight moving.

I would agree with 404. Get your casting number to see what you actually have. "truck" is not enough information to give you detailed advice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the reply brother. pics sent to me of 283 engine still in the truck looks like original motor as did the floor mounted shifter. In speaking with owner he will try to get me some pics, the old timer says its a rock crusher what ever that is???
Thx
David

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for the replies everyone. Trying to walk my way thru getting my 350 matted to standard 3 or 4 spd manual. I don't have the bell housing for a standard either so I'm looking at manual tranny options that will work. However with lack of knowledge it's a bit time consuming. Thank goodness for forums like these otherwise it would be a costly proposition.
This is what I found out the last time I tried to go down this path. This is what I have in my garage: 3 speed Saginaw and matching aluminum bell housing that came with 6 cylinder. The aluminum bell housing fits the 350 pins and bolts up if it were not for the 168 tooth flywheel. The inline 6 had a smaller flywheel I believe was a 153 tooth.
I'm told a smaller fly wheel won't work on a 350? Or Is a case that a smaller 153 flywheel is not designed for a 350? Which if this is the case then can anyone tell a source to get a proper bell housing for the 3 speed saginaw to fit 350? Sorry to be so long in the tooth, frustrated.
Thx
David

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It won't be the most hi-perf set up but the six flywheel and bellhousing and clutch should work if you have the two piece rear main seal.The starter matches the flywheel,I don't think the six starter will work you need a 153 tooth V-8 starter.If you already have the clutch that's most of the battle.Just think of sandwiching your original bell housing with the V-8 and tranny. The six trans will get by in a pinch.Saginaw three speeds are stronger than 4 speeds(they made the gears smaller to fit the same case).A Muncie rock crusher is an expensive desirable trans it shouldn't be cheap.The seller may mean that his trans is unsyncronized which is more likely to be found in a truck,but anythings possible;my old truck has a Doug Nash 5 speed.

·
Registered
310 Posts
FYI the 283 ended its production in 1967 so it can't be the original motor in a 69 pick-up. Its more likely the transmission is stock but I would still make sure you know what you are buying.

153 tooth flywheel will work. As stated you just need to match your flywheel to your starter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx for the input guys. I'll see Iif i can get pics of tranny from truck and see where it goes. I have the 6 starter but i bought a hi torque mini starter for the 350 (not yet installed) because it came with newer 3" headers. When I get it figured out I will definetly have some parts to part out including a brand new 6 cylinder clutch (still in box) previous owner left in trunk
David

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Be aware that the truck transmission may have bearing retainer with a larger OD that what fits in to the hole in the Nova bellhousing. Should be able to swap it to a passenger car sized one, however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts