Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, this is my second post and I was wondering if I may get an opinion or two from one of the experts out there. I currently have a 63 4-Door Nova with a stock 4-lug rear end set up.:eek: I have been reading through the different threads and have learned that the easiest/cheapest way to go from 4 lug to a 5 lug set up is to find and swap from a donor 64-67 Nova with a similar 8.2 rear end. As odd as it may seem, I am having a tough time in my location (Riverside, Ca.) finding one of these 8.2 5-lug rear ends near complete (at least backplate to backplate) and I believe this is the way I want to go.

I have read a lot through these forums however about the S-10 rear end, but all measurements I get show work needed to make things fit and you will still need to play with wheel offset to get proper wheel fitment. Does anyone have any other model vehicles they have come across that may simply require a spring perch cut and re-weld in order to bolt in that aren't too wide on the drum-to-drum measurements from stock 57 3/4"? Maybe even a bit narrower overall drum to drum to allow for a bit more tire?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With either the S-10 rear end or the Maverick rear end mentioned above, was there much modification to the housings to get it to line up properly with the leaf springs and/or anything else?

Sorry to sound clueless on this one, just wish I could find a 64-67 8.2 5-lugger rear end to just drop in!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
best thing is to not be impatient...

a '64-'67 differential is a better unit to use as it's 100% perfect "Bolt-In" no modifications needed Period.

you can look in the classifieds, may not be able to reply right now, but a PM can still be sent to seller. seems a used differential goes from anywhere from FREE to $150.00 or so... bide your time and be patient.

good things come to those who wait ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the Flyer.....thanks for the information. I will keep an eye out in the classifieds section and send a PM if necessary. I was not clear that I could communicate with any members in the classified/wanted areas of the forum without the 25 posts, though I should be at that number shortly! :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
the Flyer.....thanks for the information. I will keep an eye out in the classifieds section and send a PM if necessary. I was not clear that I could communicate with any members in the classified/wanted areas of the forum without the 25 posts, though I should be at that number shortly! :yes:
there has been a few listed in the last few months down south odds are there still there some body will hook you up:yes::yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
OK, gotcha... you know if you need to try and save a few bucks, for the time being you could remove rear axles and have them redrilled (along with drums) to the 5 lug 4-3/4" bolt circle.

probably cost in the $100.00 range bit it'd save you the bother to HAVE to swap differentials right now.

it'd bide you some time ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, gotcha... you know if you need to try and save a few bucks, for the time being you could remove rear axles and have them redrilled (along with drums) to the 5 lug 4-3/4" bolt circle.

probably cost in the $100.00 range bit it'd save you the bother to HAVE to swap differentials right now.

it'd bide you some time ;)
Funny you should mention it, I found 2 shops down my way who would weld and re-drill the axles/drums to 5-lug, but they want $150 to $200 to do the job. I then figure if I am going to do this, I should start with new drums, which in the 4-lug variety seem a bit expensive at about $90 each drum online.

So the cost to modify my current set up started to creep up a bit and I thought this may just be a good time to make the rear end swap and be done. Then I can simply replace the 5-lug drums/brake components and I am ready to roll! :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
unsure if welding is required to do the job and why buy new drums. redrill old ones.

i've seen where it's relatively cheap to do the job but not always the case.

the 4 lug drums are expensive as they're obsolete for the most part.

regardless of route ya choose... good luck with it ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
unsure if welding is required to do the job and why buy new drums. redrill old ones.

i've seen where it's relatively cheap to do the job but not always the case.

the 4 lug drums are expensive as they're obsolete for the most part.

regardless of route ya choose... good luck with it ;)
My current rear drums/brakes are in pretty sad shape, so I figured best to replace if I was going to re-drill. Thanks for all the help on this!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Two things:

1. The Maverick rear end appears to be a pretty much bolt in but, the bolt pattern is Ford, emergency brakes lines a bit different, rear end is a bit narrower than the stock and the hard lines needing a bit of tweaking.

2. Welding and re-drilling the rear stock axles is really quite simple as long as you are comfortable with a welder, don't over heat the axle face and have a good drill press. Just remember after drilling you'll have to install new studs.

I went with the Ford rear end as I just like the looks of a smooth rear facing housing, pretty strong and parts are still plentiful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts