Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have input on doing a 4 link rear? i'd like to do it, but man it's pricey and not all that necessary. my reasons for wanting to do it: 1. it's cool. 2. i'd like to put bigger rims/tires in the rear. thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
It would be helpful to know what will be the main purpose of the car - full drag car? If the car will primarily be a street car, are you really willing to cut most of the rear of the car out? There are much easier and less expensive ways to tuck a larger tire under our cars.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I agree with Vin63.

Now if you were after...
1. Adding better handling and ride
2. Adding Air Ride
3. Wanting to go lower then stock

...Then I would drop the cash for a 4 Link.

I personnally felt I wanted to be able to get down low, thought I could have saved some money NOT buying a kit and wanted the satisfaction of fab'ing it my self, so I bought a Triangular 4 Link, all the bags and brackets, etc but it is not a "slap on, direct fit" so the progess is slow and I have to put some thought into it all. (but don't get me wrong, if fun, yet irritating, but fun...)

Here are a couple shots... (as you can see, I need to get the upper arms fitted still and tacked then check for binding)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If the car will primarily be a street car, are you really willing to cut most of the rear of the car out? There are much easier and less expensive ways to tuck a larger tire under our cars.
EXACTLY!!!! You will lose the rear seat with a full on 4-link.

And lemme say, I had to do ALOT of cutting and bracing and prep work just to get to the point to where the car was ready to slip the 4-link under the car.

But after I was done I could fit any tire I wanted to. I had a huge space to work with. But in my rebuild I narrowed down the space considerably replacing the coilovers I had with the air ride.

And really, the cost was pretty high. I also put in an air ride spring setup and some other "stuff" Ummm?? Many hours of work.

I posted a bunch of pics before but cant find the link, so Ill show a couple to show some of the work involved... A lot of work but Im happy so far JR

It started like this, a truck drop off. WHAT!! Thats gonna fit in the 62??? Ok.....

Well, a big hole later and yeah, I guess it fits...

Some sheetmetal to close the hole. See how the rear seating is GONZO...

And this is what it looked like after the final stuff, right before I was getting ready to tear out alot of it to make it "better" :)

Well, after never driving the car with the new 4-link I decided to change it up a lil.. Air springs, watts link to replace the short pan hard bar and a sway bar... Should drive better but I wouldnt know cause dummy never got to drive the old suspension.. Story of my life really, dont ask, its a disease.. LOL

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I agree with Vin63.

Now if you were after...
1. Adding better handling and ride
2. Adding Air Ride
3. Wanting to go lower then stock

...Then I would drop the cash for a 4 Link.

I personnally felt I wanted to be able to get down low, thought I could have saved some money NOT buying a kit and wanted the satisfaction of fab'ing it my self, so I bought a Triangular 4 Link, all the bags and brackets, etc but it is not a "slap on, direct fit" so the progess is slow and I have to put some thought into it all. (but don't get me wrong, if fun, yet irritating, but fun...)
I like it!!!! I like it when guys build all the stuff on their own... I didnt have the balls to do it. Would not have known where to start.. Looking good.. Where are the upper links, not in yet?? Looks good.. What are you gonna use for springs?? Keep up the progress pics, gives alot of us guys motivation.. JR

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
heidts and tci sell a bolt in/weld in type 4 link/bar i welded mine in i got it for 1000 bucks and did the install myself it took me a weekend and i didnt have to cut up the car at all im running 255 60 15s in the rear with no issues also a minitub and maybe a hair narrowing the rear housing and im sure i could get a 12.5 tire in the wheelwells :yes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heidts and tci sell a bolt in/weld in type 4 link/bar i welded mine in i got it for 1000 bucks and did the install myself it took me a weekend and i didnt have to cut up the car at all im running 255 60 15s in the rear with no issues also a minitub and maybe a hair narrowing the rear housing and im sure i could get a 12.5 tire in the wheelwells :yes:
Sorry I wasn't more specific guys. Yeah, I was initially thinking about either the heidts or tci bolt in kit. It's not going to be a drag car...just a street car. I wanted get some respectable handling and bigger rims in the back. Maybe I should just pony up and buy the kit. I'm not sure I have the skills to fab my own. I understand the premise, but nobody's ever shown me any tricks to fabbing it up. So, I don't think I'd have the stones to hack up the car. By the way chevyIIheavy, what size rims are you running? I did some math and I'm thinking it's a 10" rim? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
(JRouche, novanutcase) - Thanks. I wish it was done, but because I like to do it all, or as much as I can, that is probably why it has been a 11+ year project. (that is a long flippin time if you think about it!!)

as far as springs, it will ride on Slams (seen in pics) and haven't decided how best to mount some shocks yet.

Upper bars are not yet in, because I haven't decided how I want to get close to 90 degrees angle between the 2 bars, keep them close to but a little downward towards the front, get them as long as possible and have no binding....

There is truly NOT a lot of spce under there to work!! Thank god I cut the floor out and can get to most of it that way or else I woulid have had a hell of a time getting it all lined up right.

But enough about my car, sounds like tack you are going with an after market setup?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Sorry I wasn't more specific guys. Yeah, I was initially thinking about either the heidts or tci bolt in kit. It's not going to be a drag car...just a street car. I wanted get some respectable handling and bigger rims in the back. Maybe I should just pony up and buy the kit. I'm not sure I have the skills to fab my own. I understand the premise, but nobody's ever shown me any tricks to fabbing it up. So, I don't think I'd have the stones to hack up the car. By the way chevyIIheavy, what size rims are you running? I did some math and I'm thinking it's a 10" rim? Am I wrong?
If you're not going to be tracking the car I would stick with the leafs. You can make them work very well for the street and not have to go through the hassle and expense of a 4 link. If you decide to go with a new rear end I would consider either a triangulated 4 link, 3 link or a truck arm.

John

·
Registered
485 Posts
If your driving on the street with a 4 link you may want to disconnect the rear swaybar, I was told by CW only hook it up for race. I have mine with one link disconnected and what a better ride on the road.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
unfortuneatly you are wrong im running 15x8s with 5'' back space i had to cut off my bumb stops though. since your just building a street car i would go the bolt on route its really easy to install you can also get a rearend from them with the brackets installed already i believe you can get a 20x9 in the rear i cant remember though

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just finished the TCI install on my wagon. It was pretty easy, and took about a week. The welding of the axle brackets was the hardest part and that was pretty easy too.

Actually, the hardest part was getting all the old brackets off of the frame rails. I think there are 4.6 million spot welds holding those on. And they ALL have to come off. Axle stops, some little brackets that don't really do anything, the e-brake bracket, everything. The second hardest part was trying to make sense of TCI's "instructions".

The ride is quite a lot stiffer, but the handling/cornering is simply amazing. TCI's advertising says the front and rear-equipped Chevy II will outdo a 2002 Z28 LS1 on the slalom and the skid pad. I now believe it. (I did the front kit as well.)

By the way, I am running 17x8's and 235/45R17 tires on the rear with a stock width rear axle and 5.5" backspacing. Plan on special ordering rims for the crazy backspacing. 6-12 weeks. Oy.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Not to bring up an old thread but my mini-tub's done and I was debating between doing the TCI bolt on 4-link or moving all the stock stuff inward. I'm leaning towards the TCI kit. Loyter, I was wondering what you did with your e-brake cables after you removed the bracket for them. Also, it's hard to tell from the pic of the TCI kit that I'm looking at but how do the axle brackets attach to the housing before you weld them? Thanks. I agree with the 4.6 million spot welds on the axle snubber brackets and such, I made sure to victoriously flip off and cuss at the brackets as they were laying on the ground after I removed them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts