Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 97 4.3 Jimmy that will just cut it self off, I mean all dash lights will die and the motor just dies, then a second or 2 later all the lights will come back on I put it in netural and start it back up, It may go fine for 3 or 4 days with no problem, then do it twice within 5 miles, I have cleaned all grounds I can find, replaced the wire from alt. to the battery, changed battery terminals, anyone have ant ideas???????????????
Thanks guys
MarkV

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was it the part the key went in or the wiring box at the bottom of the shaft??
Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definately the ignition switch. These don't have the old style rod and switch, the switch attaches directly to the lock cylinder under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Has anybody else had problems with the head gasket on these 4.3 liter engines. I've had two let go on me. Lucky for me they were both water to outside. The first one the engine had like 150,000 miles on so I chaulked it up to time and the vehicle was used as a trade in on another. Now I have an 98 chevy blazer with only 60,000 miles and it went. The bad was it went while I wasn't home so my wife had to take it to the garage for repair and they charged $800.00 to fix it. Is this common with the 4.3 or have I just been lucky.

On another side note do we have anybody here that put a 4.3 liter in their Nova? And then has anybody got 1/4 mile times? Lots of things out there to get these engines up in the horse power and they are relatively cheap from the salvage yards!

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I have a '91 S10 with 197,000 miles on it and it runs great the only major problems i have had is broken motor mounts because i race the damn thing around so much.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I think I used my old tumbler in the new switch but its been so long not sure. It's a common problem with them though if that helps. They act like they turn themselfs off for a moment then back on.Not sure about the head gaskets but intake gaskets are a common problem and fel-pro make an updated gasket kit that is metal/fiber instead of plastic/fiber which leak. Sorry it was were the key went that was bad on mine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if GM has fixed the problem???? I was thinking of going with the NAPA switch, it's a 114 bucks I will ck on the GM one tomorrow. Thanks for the replys fellas.
Mark

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
DHoskins said:
Definately the ignition switch. These don't have the old style rod and switch, the switch attaches directly to the lock cylinder under the steering wheel.
I've seen bad ignition (electrical) switches in those too. Also on a no start after it's warm (and the security light blinking) the key (tumbler) is bad. It's rejecting the resistance rating in the key.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've seen bad ignition (electrical) switches in those too. Also on a no start after it's warm (and the security light blinking) the key (tumbler) is bad. It's rejecting the resistance rating in the key.
Yes those were a problem also, except when the passive anti-theft system has a problem it will crank and just not start. The starting and running and then losing all power (dash lights etc.) is due to a faulty ignition switch design and the contacts inside the switch come loose.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
DHoskins said:
Yes those were a problem also, except when the passive anti-theft system has a problem it will crank and just not start. The starting and running and then losing all power (dash lights etc.) is due to a faulty ignition switch design and the contacts inside the switch come loose.
Yes, I should have made that clear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've done lotsa intake gaskets on these engines and Vortec 350's. Ignition switches too, had one lady in my shop that had at least a 5lb keychain and did 2 on her truck before I could convince her to take some of the crap off of it heh.
Jim

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Gloryhound said:
On another side note do we have anybody here that put a 4.3 liter in their Nova? And then has anybody got 1/4 mile times?
I know of a guy from my hometown that had one in his '66 Chevy II I haven't seen or heard from him for a long time but I hear the car runs 11's.....dunno what's been done to it, but if you go on maliburacing.com and talk to a guy by the username of "Goob", he knows the kid's dad and can tell you more than I can.

And yes they can be made fast, they even sell s/c kits for them. The GMC Syclone was a turboed 4.3 pushing 285 hp to an AWD chassis. But compared to building a 350 or bigger, is it worth it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts