Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I found this car on ebay in late august of last year in Oregon.

Heres a few pictures of the car when I got it last year. Plans so far is to rebuild the entire suspension/chassis and give the car an all around freshen up.

Plans for down the road may include a new engine(maybe efi?) new trans, subframe conectors, paint job, cage ect... but for now im just looking to restore the car good driving condition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I started the tear down with gutting the interior and removing everything past the firewall.

Rear sub-to-body bushing.

Most of the bushings in the car are badly worn out and I decided on energy suspension's hyper-polyurethane bushings to replace.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Heres a photo of the subframe after a good clean (front passanger side already has some primer on it that I applied)

Here you can see the front bumper is pushed in a little and the hood is raised slightly on that side; must have got in a fender bender at one point.

When tearing the front of the car apart I noticed that whatever the case, the radiator support took some damage as there are some bends and cracks in the metal.

My girlfriend figured a brand new support from classic industries would make a good christmas present :yes:

Anyways, I had figured I'd just use the bumper as is as theres really no big problem with it untill I stumbled upon a local kijiji add. A person near by was parting out a 73 four door slant six.

Turns out the car had a front bumper in great condition! :cool: The chrome is still super bright and it is still straight.

Along with the bumper I picked up a number of odds and ends which were in good shape, including a grill and a dash with the factory am radio still in it (will post picture later).

I figure between the new support, bumper, and grill the front of the car should be back to factory conditions. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So for the past couples months I've been working on cleaning and restoring front end parts. As far as conrol arm to brake/rotor assembly goes I will be installing the new bushings and dust boots. My ball joints are in pretty decent shape and I suspect they were replaced within the last five years or so. Ive purchased new oem style brake lines for my front discs and got new oem calipers.

At my local auto store if you bring in your old caliper core they knock a bunch of cash off your invoice. These calipers ended up at $35cad a peice :turn:

The ugliest item on the front end list was the drivers side control arms/brake assembly.

The brake dust cover manged to get dinged by something at some point but straightened out pretty quick after a few rides on an anvil and mallet. As far as the rotor/hub it cleaned up well after a quick wire wheel.

To clean the conrol arms I picked up a few gallons of metal rescue from my local canadian tire.

The one nice thing about this product is that it is safe to touch and doesnt harm anything other than rust so it wont eat your rubber/plastic components. At $25 bucks a gallon though I wouldnt get this anytime soon again. It seemed to run out of juice awfully quick and has to be at room temp or higher to work. I ended up switching to muratic acid for now on. 11 bucks a gallon at home hardware and works in minutes :devil: it's deffinatly tough stuff.

Heres how my control arms turned out.

With some tremclad rust paint.

With new bushings/hardware installed.

This pretty much brings me to where I am so far. I just layed some primer and paint on my subframe and am in the process of undercoating the bottom of the floorpans/chassis items. Once the paint cures I get to finally start putting the front end back togeather :D

After the front ends complete I will move on to the rear end suspension. I will finally end by reinstalling the drivetrain and front body peices and interior and then will be ready to pass inspection =].

Stay tuned to see the rest of the resto :yes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
To bad the donor car was being parted out , it looked in good shape. I'm enjoying your rebuild and look forward to more progress as it comes along.:yes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, so I haven't posted in quite some time. Here are a few pictures to show the progress.

grinding down the firewall

Primed the firewall & cowl

The dingy interior

Luckily there were no holes in the floor pan. Wire wheeled everything down and tore out all the nasty sound deadener and insulator. Applied por 15 to the floor, armor coat rust primer & gloss black paint to quarter/roof/rear supports and armor coat rust primer & flat black to the roof skin.

I have scuffed up the por 15 and applied primer to the floor as well as seam sealed the whole interior and cowl/firewall; ill upload more pictures tomorrow.

I haven't been documenting the build as much as I had planned to but will do so from now onwards. These are just a few photos to show where I'm at; ill take a few more photos of the overall build tomorrow and get them up here. Should be on the road by August at this pace.

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked these up from a rockin local guy for a sweet deal :salute:
Weigh about 10 lbs each :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some old photos I found on my phone; ill throw some new ones up tonight.

Few pictures of some minor engine work I did a while ago.
Replaced the oil pan gasket, oil filter.
Scrubbed down the grease off the block head and pan and painted with duplicolor orange engine enamel.

Heres a photo of the th350 all covered in slime

Replacing the pan gasket and filter

Some miscellaneous photos

Wire wheeled and washed inner fender well

Undercarriage when I first got the car

The grimy drive shaft

Working on the exhaust manifolds

·
Registered
982 Posts
nice to see another edmontonian here, others are out of the city or in another province. good looking car, and good thing you had not floor holes, look forward to seeing it on the roads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
nice to see another edmontonian here, others are out of the city or in another province. good looking car, and good thing you had not floor holes, look forward to seeing it on the roads.
Thanks! When its done we will have to go meet up sometime!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Primed the por 15 and applied seam sealer

Using rustoleum expoxy all weather for the seams.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres how the the cowl/firewall region is looking as of now;
dont mind the dust/bolts lying around :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Quarter region

Inside the quarter - looking through the vent hole - dont mind the dust

This area was a real challenge to prime and paint

Scenic shot of the interior from the back passenger package tray area lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Topcoated the primer with final coat of gloss black rust paint.

Floorboards = done :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is the Rustoleum Epoxy part number?? Looked on their site but only saw Turbo-Krete All Purpose Epoxy Repair. Uses a special caulk gun?

Did you like it? Does it dry hard?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the Rustoleum Epoxy part number?? Looked on their site but only saw Turbo-Krete All Purpose Epoxy Repair. Uses a special caulk gun?

Did you like it? Does it dry hard?
Its called rustoleum epoxy shield premium all sheild roof patch.
Its a rubberized plastic cement of sorts. I wanted something that didn't dry too hard because I don't want it to crack. When its fully dried its still flexible; what you would expect from a rubberized product. It was around 5 bucks for a tube and I only used half.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts