Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 434 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have looked at some other sites that have people that have 255/60/R15's on the back - I would like to know if 255/70/R15's will fit with no problem. They are about 3" taller than the 60's, like 29" or so. That would help my 3000rpm/55mph go up to about 64 mph. If anyone is running these - please let me know, and what size and backset rim are you using....Thanks

I started this thread as a "Nova Newbie" several years ago. Over the years there has been a LOT of good info and pics posted to it regarding different size tires and wheels on a 3rd gen. If you have questions about what will and won't fit on a '68 - '72 - scroll through here and you will likely find some info that will help you!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am not sure if it is going to help you if someone is able to fit a 255/70/15 tire on their Nova--as every Nova is a little bit different based on mods and the car itself. Measuring your wheel-well is the only true way to find out which wheel/tire combo is going to fit your car. I personally run 255/60/15's and they are pretty close to the fender lip, I have replaced my 8.2 10-bolt with a 12-bolt, and had new quarters put on, my rear suspension has been upgraded to multi leaf springs from monos, and run 4.5" backspacing on my 15x7 rims. If you are looking to run a specific rim, you are kind of at their mercy in regards to back spacing, and sometime it can really limit the size of the tire you run. As an example I believe American Racign Torque Thrusts only come in 3.5" of backspacing for a 15x7 rim (I could be wrong, but this is an example), that backspace might limit you to a 235 width tire. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Paul a.k.a novalty

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I have 255R7015 on 15x7 ralley wheels on back of my 69 SS now. The wheel wells had been modified for racing in the past. 25560R15 looked small. The taller tire looks much better. I saw them on back of a 69 SS with stock quarters. So there must be a way to make them work. Earl

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pics are 275's on 4.5 bs. They were just too tight without rolling the lips under. I put the 255's on the same rims which are much better. Here is a pic of the 255's.
Those are 255/ 60's, not 70's right? Sweet car BTW!

MNYenko
I have 255R7015 on 15x7 ralley wheels on back of my 69 SS now. The wheel wells had been modified for racing in the past. 25560R15 looked small. The taller tire looks much better. I saw them on back of a 69 SS with stock quarters. So there must be a way to make them work. Earl
Can you post a picture of how yours looks with the 255/70's please? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The pics are 275's on 4.5 bs. They were just too tight without rolling the lips under. I put the 255's on the same rims which are much better. Here is a pic of the 255's.
Looks like an 8" rim. 275's will fit on a 7" rim with no issues. Here's my 68 with 28x11.5/15 ET Streets on a 7" rim with 4.5 bs. My tires are equal to a 275/60

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i tried to put 15's on mine and i could keep them from scrubbing so i went back to 205/70/14 on mine for the old school look
That's what I have on it now. I like the wheels and I really don't have the $$ to get 4 new ones. I've been trying to find 2 15" wheels that match mine so that I can put bigger tires on the back - mainly to offset the 4.10 gear I have. I can't drive it on the highway as it is. (3000 rpms at 55 mph, need to go at least 65mph around here) I need larger diameter tires more than I need wider tires - although I could use a little more traction also. ;) That's why I was wondering about the 255/70's, 70 series being taller than 60 series. I should probably just forget it and save for a 200 4R tranny.......:confused:

Anyone running 255/70 15's that could post a pic - please do!

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my experience, the height isn't all that crucial as long as your springs are good. It may sit like a stink bug though... I would be sure to have a 4.5 or 5 inch backspacing though or else you will probably have fender lip issues.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
wtf? I put on my rims yesterday and the biggest i could fit was 235s!!!! what did you guys do!!! haha

and those still rub!!! im going to have to cut the lip!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Have you checked any of the local tire places?
Some will mount them to see if they would fit on your car, you wouldnt be able to test drive it, but sitting it on the ground might give you some idea.
I can check with a buddy of mine and see if he has one in stock that hes willing to play around with, we could mock it up on your car. Let me know.
Bob

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
WOW! My old thread became a sticky!
UPDATE: I ended up going with the 255/60/15 tires, on 8" wide rims, with 4.5" backset. I had a little problem with a slight rub on the passenger side if I hit a large dip in the road. That was due to the rearend of the car not being absolutely centered. That has since been fixed, and I have no rubs. Here are some more recent pics:

EDIT: I thought I had it centered. I had the guy that changed my gear out unbolt and push the rearend to the left as far as he could and rebolt it. It worked for a little bit - but as I drove the car more and the suspension and everything settled - it went right back to it's normal "center". Only way I can think of to properly center the rear is to cut the mounts off the axle and reweld them 1/4" to the right. I can't do that with what I have - so it's back to normal. I wish now that I would have gotten 8" x 5" bs - and then I could have spaced out 1/4" to get 4 3/4. I think that would work perfect......

I still have the 205/70/14 on the factory SS rims on the front. Gives the car a nice stance I think. The 8" x 15" SS rims came from Wheel Vintiques through Summit.......

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
275's?? Wow. I thought about that, but after seeing how my 255's filled it out I'm glad I didn't try that. Are yours on 8" wide rims too?
Car looks sweet BTW! Hope to see it in person sometime soon.....:yes:

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
:confused:

How did you fit them in there?? Trimed the lip and moved the shocks inboard??:confused:
Lips are trimmed, My posi is out of a 79-80ish T/A, measures 54" drum to drum ( if my memory is right). but is still alittle too wide, I like the squatted look also, so on the look out for a little narrower rear end. The shocks are in stock location but had to install those nasty air shocks cause I still rub a little with a passenger.
oh almost forgot 7" rims

1 - 20 of 434 Posts