Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to get the trunk hinge support replacements? I'd prefer to stick with the originals since I already have the rods. The PO cut them almost up to the package tray. There is enough of a stub sticking out that I can weld new ones but I can't find them. I checked all the usual places - Jegs, Summit, Classic Industries, AMD, etc. Any leads on these would be appreciated.

·
6,516 Posts
Might be a thing you have to get off of a donor car. Maybe check with some local shops that build race cars and maybe they cut something out of a Nova that would work. Don't forget about the sister cars from Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Buick too.
If you find a local yard, take along a cordless sawzall and cut out more than you need.

Jim

·
Registered
723 Posts
Could make your own those are nothing fancy, unless you're keeping it factory of course

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. I'm not keeping it factory per se, but I'd like to get the part of the support that has the holes for the rods since I have them. I didn't think of the sister cars so I'll check that out.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just curious, what year nova do you have? I'm using my phone and it doesn't tell me on your profile

·
6,516 Posts
Looking at a photo of the slotted bar bracket in my 68 has me thinking that would be a BIG job of making a pair out of a piece of flat steel and not to mention additional ribs formed in it for rigidity.

Yep, I would get some out of a donor and look real close at yours to see exactly how much out of a donor car you would need.

Just watch yourself with those torsion rods. It seems to me there is a special tool you can make to adjust them and not have to try it with something else that might slip on you.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your pic. The PO cut those supports about an inch or two down from the package tray (in your pic it's right above the top slot where the bar slides in. If I can't find a donor car I'll have to go the aftermarket route with something like billet hinges. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, what year nova do you have? I'm using my phone and it doesn't tell me on your profile

I have a 69. I'm in the process of fixing a lot of things from the PO and it's taking longer than expected. I'll post pics/info once I make more progress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts