Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the drip rail trim on my parts car and was wondering how everyone else who has done this did it?

Also I am removing the crome that goes around the window frame on the doors. Same issues with it.

This trim is a clip on type trim. I managed to remove a couple of pieces by using two small flat tip screw drivers and very carefully expanding the smaller lip until it would finally pop it off. This was extremely time consuming took about 2 hours per piece.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I used the same method on my window chrome; I would like a better method also. Ihave a good set but I am afraid to remove what I have to install the better set.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Try a pair of channel locks with hose over the jaws on the drip edge trim. I am pretty sure that's how I did it. I rolled the trim off from the top edge and once it started I was able to use my hands to finish the job. The door trim was a terrible pain as you already know. I used a putty knife that I sharpened the edge on to get an edge started off the door trim and went from there again using my hands and the putty knife. RM

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
For the drip rail, I went to the grociery store and bought a couple of old style bottle/can openers (2 for a $1). Wrapped the ends with tape so they wouldn't scratch the finish. Then started at one end and worked my way accross.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it all off! :) If did not come off perfect, but it wasn't perfect to begin with. A little time on a trim dollie with a trim hammer and some felt and it will be straight as new. Then its time to polish it. I got it all labeled and put it in a box so I can store it till I'm ready for it. Then I'll do the prep work to it.

I kinda modified Real McCoy's putty knife method. I was worried about the square points cutting into the chrome so I rounded them off. Once I got it going I turned the putty knife Parallel to the crome used a small 6 oz. hammer and tap tap tap down the line gently. Worked pretty good I think!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts