Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3rd gen in dash tach has 2 leads, does anyone know what they need to be hooked up to, to make it functional without the full gauge harness?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi taz3,

The two connections are ignition-switched +12V and coil. The tach grounds via its connection to the metal instrument panel housing.

I believe the tach makes use of the same printed circuit on the back of the instrument panel. The traces that would otherwise go to the gas gauge get hooked to the tach instead. One of the traces is a switched +12V so it stays the same. The other trace was the gas gauge sending unit. The different wiring harnesses take care of re-routing that trace so it gets connected to the - side of the coil instead of the gas gauge sending unit. I suppose you could always cut that wire (tan) on a non-gauge cluster. Re-route the instrument panel end of the wire to the coil. And re-route the gas sender end of that wire to the new gas gauge location.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, for the help. I have a spare tach and was debating putting it in the clock location the same as the aftermarket ones, but just use my OE tach.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts