Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well I have finally had a chance to work on my grill, it turned out great!
I took a used 71 grill removed anodizing with easyoff oven cleaner and steel wool.
I then sanded the two ribs that I wanted polished with 400 grit and buffed and polished.
Then I masked off and painted the rest trim black.

I have a buffer motor with 1/2 wide buffing wheels. I sanded with 400 grit to get rid of most of the surface imperfections, then I used the buffing wheel with Tripol compound and then used a loose buff with white compound.

I then used some wax and Greece remover, to clean it up. Taped off the shiny parts. Re-dulled the "shiny" parts that the buffer shined on the parts that I wanted black, with some scotchbrite. Sprayed with a coat of self etching primer and finished off with some trim black.

I also removed the rivets that connect it to the top support (so I could sand blast and powder coat the steel portion) and replaced them with polished stainless carriage bolts.

**EDIT BY 72GreenRally** Thank you for sharing this information Jack!!!

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I am just giving this a bump so those who can benefit from the information will see it. It is "stickied" in the originality forum, so it should stick around!!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
If you cut the grill rivet (from the under side)with a dremell cut off wheel in an "X" you can punch them through and re install them buy squeezing a 3/8" ball bearing with visegrips to spread the rivet back out to hold in place.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Good tip on the rivet!

Also, you might wish to partially paint the top of the grill black. I believe the SS grills had the top painted as well, someone should have a pic handy.

The grill looks great, thanks for the process - I will try it on my '69 grill.
M

PS: forgot to ask, how did you get the oven-cleaner to work? I've tried it on some taillight housings, and it only made a chalky mess. Is the trick in using the steel wool, or...??

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Good tip on the rivet!

Also, you might wish to partially paint the top of the grill black. I believe the SS grills had the top painted as well, someone should have a pic handy.

The grill looks great, thanks for the process - I will try it on my '69 grill.
M

PS: forgot to ask, how did you get the oven-cleaner to work? I've tried it on some taillight housings, and it only made a chalky mess. Is the trick in using the steel wool, or...??
The easy off will only remove anodizing,I use to do my paint ball guns then polish them.It will not remove corrosion,and your correct about the top being black as well.

NPHNP

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
When I painted mine I only left the fin it's self unpainted as well as the rivets
the raised portion of the grill should be painted from what I've seen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
this may sound dumb but only SS grills are painted black? my bezels are black and i have been wondering what to do with the grill:confused:

·
Super Moderator
31,194 Posts
Yes,only SS's came with the black grill,but all models(3rd gen) came with black bezels.The SS's only had 2 fins left chrome,non SS came with all fins chrome.Post #8 is my SS you can see hoe the bezels are for SS.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Hi Taz3
thanks so much for the info. i had another problem, my screws are mixed up for the front end metal. i think i have all of them but not sure. but anyways i checked the assembly manual and theres different part numbers for the inner fender bolts (i think i know which they are though) and the radiator support bolts that hold the front top fender on (2 each side), know which are those? or what they look like? or head marking? also are the hood latch bolts all the same? thanks so much:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a non ss 72nova but I like the black ss grill so I painted mine, and I think that it looks good. I matched the grill to the the interior along with the wiper arms and the bow tie.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sand blast the whole thing?

I resurrected this thread being it is what im doing to mine, My question is why wouldnt you sand blast the whole grill? and then paint it? , adhesion would be second to none and then polish the 2 ribs ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Redid mine today. Not 100% correct but turned out good I think. Got hood and fender trims ordered too. Just need a new SS emblem and the front end will be looking good.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm restoring my 68 grill and I found a really good alternative for the original grill rivets if you want to make it look like original without breaking the bank on buying original rivets or those stainless steel bolts. I found binding posts at Home Depot in the hardware isle. I got the 3/16 x 1/2 in and they are nearly identical to original rivets made of aluminum. They fit perfectly. Only need to cut the length down and then crimp in place. At $1.18 each you can't go wrong and they look correct. One picture is of the binding post next to the top of a rivet that snapped off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Finished the grill with the home depot "rivets" and it looks like stock to me.

Here is the rivet cut to length

Top of installed rivet

Bottom of crimped rivet

Finished grill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts