Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I have a question concerning the multi-leaf springs on a ' 70 Nova. Anyone know what amount of "leafs" were used on the application? I found that a small block ' 70 Nova SS had 4 leafs while another ' 72 SS had 5 "leafs"...........any explanation for the differences? Were there different 'multi-leaf" configurations?. Appreciate hearing from anyone on this....thanks in advance..........:yes:

·
Registered
338 Posts
3rd. Gen Nova Multi Leaf question:

I believe the 70SS Nova with the 4bbl L48 350ci/300hp and 4bbl L34 396ci/350hp engines had the 4-leaf like the 69 Camaros. Most of the 72SS Nova came with the 2bbl L65 350ci/250hp engine and G31 rear spring option, dictating the 5-leaf springs; again this was like the 69 Camaros. Seems like it would be the other way around??:confused:

Gary

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
a 70 nova SS would have 5 leafs from the factory.... as would also a 69 nova....and if you get me a picture of them, i can tell if there originals or replacements.... the 69 camaro Z/28 got the 4 leafs....

·
Registered
338 Posts
More facts and figures for numbers guys,

All 69 and later Nova and Camaro front/rear springs were computer selected.
The rear were either the 4 leaf or 5 leaf type; dimension measurements for all were 25x31x1-5/8 inches. They weren't all the same however. Like the front springs, several different rates were used in the rear according to model usage and options. The 1969 leaf spring was GM part number 3955729 - use selectively dictated by the vehicle weight.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
As 69Camaro stated they were computer selected starting in 1969. Based on options the same engine in different Novas could have different springs. But they were also RPO dependent. RPO F40 and F41 also was part of the mix.

There are spring calculators on the project page on my website. Select your engine and options to get a very close idea what should have come on the car. Then pick from standard springs or heavy duty springs.

However a simplistic rule or thumb is 5 leaf pocketed spring was standard and the 4 leaf pocketed spring was heavy duty. There were differences between 69 and 70 too.

I am trying to get examples of original springs between 68 and 74 for a comparison article for the website. Let me know if you have picture examples for these years.

thanks,
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts