Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install the reproduction grill in a 3rd gen. From what I can see maybe two manufactures and of coarse 2 different prices. I hate to do it but I have no other option I guess. I have a real nice original but it has a bunch of fine chips from stones I think, that I just can't live with. I had a reproduction grill on another nova I owned and I had to cut it to make it fit. I am pretty sure it was a DII grill. I know it was made in Tiawan. But that was 6 years ago. I am hoping they have made them better since then??? One company I think is making them is T.W.Enterprise.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Buy a used grill off of Ebay and send it out to a powdercoater?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I bought a repop grill from Ground Up (ss396.com). I couldn't tell you what was different about it other than it was a little more flimsy, but it just didn't fit right and made my front end to look crooked. I ended up buying a used grill for $40 and repainting it and it fit perfect.

I would try and fix the one you have or look for another used one in good condition. You can paint the whole thing black and polish the horizontal bars back to a shine. Or if You don't want a black grill try sanding it down if you don't have access to a sand blaster.

I just looked on ebay and found tons of used grills in pretty good condition from $40 to $75 which is cheaper than buying a repop that won't fit right anyway.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks That is what I thought. This grill I have is nice. Since the car is a Non SS car painting it isn't an option, I wish it was that would solve my problems. I actually de-anodized this one and poilished it up the best I could. I spent 4hrs wet sanding it and it still not where I would like it to be? Maybe sand blasting it might help. I may try that and see what I end up with. I have a spare grill to try it on. I will let you know how I make out.

Jason

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Use SOS pads with the blue powder in it and plenty of water to wash it off. I used a piece of 1" x 3" flat aluminum stock from another project and proceeded to sand all the grille peaks with the following grit:

80, 120, 240, 600, and to include 1200. I took out most, if not all, of the stone chips in the used one I picked up locally. After the sanding, I took the grille to the buffing wheel on all the raised portions to get them as smooth as possible. I then proceeded to mask off all but 2 of the ribs and painted the rest of the grille a satin black.

I've got another which I'm thinking of restoring just as a back-up...

If you click on the link at the bottom of my signature, you will see an image of the restored one I just did on top of an original grille. Look for it on Page 5.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Anyone install the reproduction grill in a 3rd gen. From what I can see maybe two manufactures and of coarse 2 different prices. I hate to do it but I have no other option I guess. I have a real nice original but it has a bunch of fine chips from stones I think, that I just can't live with. I had a reproduction grill on another nova I owned and I had to cut it to make it fit. I am pretty sure it was a DII grill. I know it was made in Tiawan. But that was 6 years ago. I am hoping they have made them better since then??? One company I think is making them is T.W.Enterprise.
Take sbc1320 advice. I did the same thing. I have the bezels and grill powdercoated black. Dont choose any other color as it would look cheesse.
Black is the way to go. My opinion

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have an original picture of the top of a 68 nova NON SS grill. I have a grill assembly I removed from a November built 68 Nova and the top part of the gill was painted black. Just from the top rib back. I drilled out the rivets and started to de-anodize the grill when I said to myself I don't remember that top part where the rivets attach being black. I wonder if this is an early 68 nova thing. I am just trying to get someone with an original later car to look for me. This picture is another early 68 nova I have been trying to buy for 4 years but they won’t sell it. You can see the top of the grill is painted black. I have a couple of 70 grills and this part isn't painted. I wonder if 69 is the same?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Why is it that the reproduction classic car parts consumer is blinded as to where the parts he is purchasing are manufactured?? I am sick and tired of trying to get the "good" reproduction stuff and having blinders put in front of me like OER "original equipment reproduction" or "original parts group" when I know dang well that the parts are made overseas. The big guys don't seem to even have to put the country of origin on there parts. I have yet to buy a reproduction part that is as good as an oem part. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Anyone install the reproduction grill in a 3rd gen. From what I can see maybe two manufactures and of coarse 2 different prices. .
I bought and returned at least 3 and then had someone drive down to the parts house in LA and he looked at every one they had (Probably 10 total). JUNK, JUNK, JUNK.. I finally had my old one powder coated.

INCONCEIVABLE...Jack

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with you 100% on OER parts. I have been burned many times. We should start a topic on reproduction parts. What fits and what don't. Quality of the part and comparison to original parts. I have a list as long as my arm. I wonder if the moderators can start a topic like this. It would only help everyone buying these parts on what to expect....... the good and bad...

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Does anyone have an original picture of the top of a 68 nova NON SS grill. I have a grill assembly I removed from a November built 68 Nova and the top part of the gill was painted black. Just from the top rib back. I drilled out the rivets and started to de-anodize the grill when I said to myself I don't remember that top part where the rivets attach being black. I wonder if this is an early 68 nova thing. I am just trying to get someone with an original later car to look for me. This picture is another early 68 nova I have been trying to buy for 4 years but they won’t sell it. You can see the top of the grill is painted black. I have a couple of 70 grills and this part isn't painted. I wonder if 69 is the same?

My two 68 and one 69 grill are painted black

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I agree with you 100% on OER parts. I have been burned many times. We should start a topic on reproduction parts. What fits and what don't. Quality of the part and comparison to original parts. I have a list as long as my arm. I wonder if the moderators can start a topic like this. It would only help everyone buying these parts on what to expect....... the good and bad...

Jason
That sounds like an awesome idea

·
Registered
407 Posts
I used the extra fine 000 or 0000 Brillo stuff. Took the old black finish off the headlight bezels and the grill. Looks way better but ultimately powdercoating would be the best, even if you left it that polished color

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

Jason
That sounds like an awesome idea
I agree, don't bash anyone, simply by stating what fits better will be informative for all of us. Any vendor bashing will be removed.

I know from experience US made 3rd gen eyebrows have better fitment then overseas.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paul can we make a sticky at the top of the 3rd gen page for this.

We need to come up with a topic. Like reproduction part quality, fit and finish? I agree no vendor bashing. If you have or are going to buy an aftermarket part and have a good or bad experiance you would post it in this topic. This way it wont get lost.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Paul can we make a sticky at the top of the 3rd gen page for this.

We need to come up with a topic. Like reproduction part quality, fit and finish? I agree no vendor bashing. If you have or are going to buy an aftermarket part and have a good or bad experiance you would post it in this topic. This way it wont get lost.
I will get back to you in this thread to let you know for sure, but to keep it simple, I'd rather folks post parts that fit well only, this will stop all chances of bashing. If a part is of poor quality and fitment it really wont matter if we know about it so more then likely this will be the route we'll go, if it's OK by upper management.:rolleyes::D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts