Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading alot about tubular control arms and the G mod, tall spindles and tall ball joints for these cars. What I'm looking for is more highway stability, so more caster is needed. Well, the aftermarket a arms do this, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money for this little problem. I don't need super high speed camber gain improvements (although I am looking into bumpsteer solutions), and I don't need the G mod. So what i was wondering is this. If i use my stock rebuilr upper arms, weld up the holes for the mounting bolts, and re drill them back about 1/4", that should accomplish what I'm looking for correct? From what i can see, this won't cause any interference issues with anything. I figure I can get about 2 degrees with shims and another 3-4 degrees moving the holes back slightly. Am i thinking correctly?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I've been reading alot about tubular control arms and the G mod, tall spindles and tall ball joints for these cars. What I'm looking for is more highway stability, so more caster is needed. Well, the aftermarket a arms do this, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money for this little problem. I don't need super high speed camber gain improvements (although I am looking into bumpsteer solutions), and I don't need the G mod. So what i was wondering is this. If i use my stock rebuilr upper arms, weld up the holes for the mounting bolts, and re drill them back about 1/4", that should accomplish what I'm looking for correct? From what i can see, this won't cause any interference issues with anything. I figure I can get about 2 degrees with shims and another 3-4 degrees moving the holes back slightly. Am i thinking correctly?
Try shimming your UCA to increase caster. What steering setup do you have that is causing bumpsteer?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front suspension is all stock right now. This Nova is just like all my first gen F-bodies are/were. They all suffered from bumpsteer. It's not horrible, and it's liveable, but at the same time, I'd rather fix it if I can, but that'll come later.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump steer is when you're driving and hit a bump and it jerks the steering wheel one way or the other, especially noticeable in turns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts