Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's beat this to death again...:horse::horse::horse:

I bought what was supposed to be the BB frame mounts years ago the left one was taller than the right one but I had nothinng to compare them to as my car had a 6 banger. Everything seemed to fit ok but I had an issue with the power steering pressure hose and the #5 primary tube of my Hooker Super Comps. It was very tight and I did not put it on, and I was going to run a manual steering box.

Since working on my friends 67 Camaro I convinced him to buy the correct frame mounts as his car had a small block and I was installing a BB. He also bought the Hooker Super Comps.

Anyway after getting it all installed there was more room than what I had and he was running a 2" primary to my 1-7/8" tube.

So I looked at his mounts compared to mine and they looed taller.

I pulled my engine for some other goodies and measured my mounts. the right side is 1-5/8" from the frame to the center of the bolt hole, and the left side is 1-7/8" from frame to bolt hole.

This seems short, but I have not measured his yet.

Does anyone know what they should be or can you measure yours?

Another inch or so would get me enough clearance for the P/S hose and that would be cool!:yes:

Thanks,
Denis

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I measured both my BB cars and the tall side is 1 13/16 to the center of the hole, and a hair over 2 3/8 overall. the short side is 1 3/8 to the center of the hole. So I would say they are correct. Do you have the correct tranny mount for a BB? This will cause clearance issues too!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a urathaine replacement. Any one else got any measurements?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok here is a pic of both the left frame mounts. The one on the left is correct for the BB. The one on the right are some piece of crap the are identical to the SB. They are cheap Chinese crap with the BB numbers stamped into them. That I bought from this freak.

I asked him to double check then against the SB mounts, but he was insulted and told me he knows Nova's better than anyone. Don't buy from him his assembly manuals are also of the poorest quality. So for $80 and the cost of powder coating when the entire subframe was done, and now they won't match plus the correct ones were $10 cheaper and now I can have my P/S working again.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
No mount pics!:no:

Are they not still available from GM, I have an NOS set I bought 6 months ago from a local Nova owner and I thought he said you could still get them.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok here is a pic of both the left frame mounts. The one on the left is correct for the BB. The one on the right are some piece of crap the are identical to the SB.

They are cheap Chinese crap with the BB numbers stamped into them. That I bought from this freak.

I asked him to double check then against the SB mounts, but he was insulted and told me he knows Nova's better than anyone. Don't buy from him his assembly manuals are also of the poorest quality. So for $80 and the cost of powder coating when the entire subframe was done, and now they won't match plus the correct ones were $10 cheaper and now I can have my P/S working again.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
My batteries are dead in my camera right now, but my mounts are similar to what's posted, with that said, those are definitely after market, my lower mount hole, is elongated and has no creasing in the metal from forming, only deep scribing from the press in the mold. It also doesn't seem to be as tall. I'll post pics when I recharge my batteries ASAP.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
OK I found some batteries!LOL!!:devil:

The mounts on the left are my #'s matching L78 and the others are NOS, the only noticeable difference is the tall mount has no elongated hole.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok the 1 on the left is the new one(for the right side), and the almost flat one is the old one.

For what it is worth on the new set. The short (right side) is just a hair taller than the cheapy tall one(left side). I am confident everything will fit much better. It fit pretty good with the exception of the P/S lines.

So the right side is about a 1/2" taller and the left side is about 1" taller. Beware what you buy.

Don't buy from this guy...

I have heard of many people that have gotten taken with crap parts.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Me too, I bought 3 sets of the engine mounts from his brother :rolleyes: and each one had a different fitment issue, I'm still look for an OE style pair engine mounts that will fit.:(

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now measurments from the frame to the center hole is almost 2-1/2" on the left and 2" on the right. The P/S lines will fit.:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Ok this is from a Camaro site. But it should be the same for Nova's, as they use the same subframe.

http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

Differences in V8 Frame Mount Brackets and Engine Mounts
All '67-'68 small-block (SB) and '69 307ci and 327ci engines used the same frame mount bracket (approximately 2-1/2 inches wide) attached to the subframe. The 1969 302ci and 350ci engines used a shorter (~3/8 inch) and narrower (~1/4 inch) bracket. 1967-68 engine mounts will assemble to the 1969 302/350 engine mount bracket, but this is an incorrect assembly that results in driveline vibration and clutch chatter because the engine sits too low and can move on the bracket.
In order to gain engine compartment clearance, big block (BB) engines were offset 1 inch to the right (towards the passenger side) by means of asymmetric brackets. 1967-68 BB frame mount brackets are 2-1/2 inches wide (but not the same as SB) and use the same engine mounts as 67-68 302ci and 350ci. For 69, BB frame mount brackets were redesigned to use the new thicker, narrower, engine mount also used by 302ci and 350ci. BBC bracket pairs are easily spotted because the left bracket is noticeably taller than the right in order to achieve the engine offset.

Note that the frame mount brackets and the engine mounts below are grouped together by functionality. The OEM engine mounts may have had different part numbers, but are functionally the same. The original frame mount part numbers are listed.

Frame Mount Brackets Part No. (L, R)
------------------------ -----------------
L6
67-69
V8
1) 67-68 302, 327, 350 3892733, 3892734
and 69 327/307 3955183, 3955184
2) 67-68 396 3912597, 3912598
3) 69 302 and 350 3945507, 3945508
4) 69 396 3950113, 3950114

Engine Mounts
------------------
L6
a) 67-early 68
b) late 68-69

V8
a) 67-68 327 non-PS
67-68 327 PS right
69 327/307
b) 67-68 327 PS left
c) 67-68 302, 350, 396
d) 69 302, 350, 396

------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if you know of this site. But if your helping a friend with a Camaro it will be helpful info

Heres another in case you didn't know of this one also
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes that is good stuff:yes: I went to National Parts Depot in Ventura yesterday and got the Camaro mounts. Their books also referance other body typs like our X.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts