Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read where they came completely painted body color or painted body color but with a bright (chrome) edge but did they come completely chrome from the factory too? I have seen several cars with completely chrome fender louvers (mine included) and was wondering if that is factory or not:)

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
Link didn't work. punch in "3rd gen. fender louvers" in SEARCH, and then the 2nd heading down will be "Nova louvers" and "5 is Scott's info.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Or, just read this!!

Geez Duane!!! You are such a pain!!!:D :D

1969 Super Sport - RPO Z26

Model Availability

Nova coupe - 11427

Power Train Availability

350 V8 4V L48
396 V8 4V L34
396 V8 4V L78

Equipment (used in addition to or in place of standard equipment)

Exterior

Front fender side louver ornament (bright edge)
Special hood ornaments
Black painted grille with bright upper and lower horizontal bars
Black painted rear end panel trim plate
Under hood insulation
"SS" emblem on grille and rear end panel
Engine Chrome

Interior

Black steering wheel, shroud and column with "SS" emblem on shroud

Chassis

Red stripe, wide oval E70-14-4PR tires on 14x7 rim
F40 Heavy duty suspension (F41 Sport suspension optional)
Front disc brakes with power assist

Randy (NPHNP):D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Did the optional exterior chrome trim change that though or is that the only way they came (bright edge).

Sorry in advance if I'm wrong Randy but I seen both.:eek:
Thanks for your response Paul.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Until recently, I never saw any that were all chrome. I've seen them totally painted, and with a bright edge.

Now, I could be wrong, and If I am, I will just add another mark to my wrong board, if I can find an empty space!:rolleyes:

Randy (my wrong board is nearly covered, twice!):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
72GreenRally said:
Until recently, I never saw any that were all chrome. I've seen them totally painted, and with a bright edge.

Now, I could be wrong, and If I am, I will just add another mark to my wrong board, if I can find an empty space!:rolleyes:

Randy (my wrong board is nearly covered, twice!):rolleyes:
My 70 375HP car had chrome lovers. The previous owner had scratched off all the paint, and underneath it was chrome (it was original paint). In the same token I have some that are pot-metal raw, definately not chrome. so I think that rings true....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
72GreenRally said:
Geez Duane!!! You are such a pain!!!
Ya, ya, ya I know......my wife tells me that all the time:eek: :D

But anyway I've seen the same info as your showing that they either came fully painted or they came painted with a bright edge.....but I've seen quite a few that were completely chrome and that doesnt make sense for the general to completely chrome something just so they could paint most of it......I mean normally speaking paint doesnt really stick well to chrome...so why would they go to the trouble of chroming the entire louver (not just the edge) IF they were planning on painting it?:confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
The labor to mask off the part of the louver that would not get the chrome would probably cost a lot more than just chroming the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bbdon said:
The labor to mask off the part of the louver that would not get the chrome would probably cost a lot more than just chroming the whole thing.

Ya I guess your right......even in 1969 Labour was likely the biggest cost to building a car even for GM....

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's interesting about the louvres being completely chromed, then being mostly painted except for the desired bright edge. I have seen the same done on 1968 Impala SS427 side louvres.

Back then chroming wasn't yet looked upon with the same sort of environmental concern as today (even though the ecology movement probably really got into gear around 1970).

I really beg to differ as to the presence of chrome edges being standard on the fender louvres for any 1969/70 Nova SS. I thought that plain painted louvres were standard on the SS with either base exterior or Exterior Decor, plus the painted ones were also standard on non-SS cars with Exterior Decor. The chrome accents were used with Custom Exterior, be it an SS or not. That was always my observation.

I may be a Nova Newbie, but my '69 brochure was grabbed from the dealer shelf by me back in '69 :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Here is a vintage picture and you can see the Chrome on the edge. I have seen them both ways,I have a set that are painted over chrome and a set of pot metal ones. Ed

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Cam said:
I really beg to differ as to the presence of chrome edges being standard on the fender louvres for any 1969/70 Nova SS. I thought that plain painted louvres were standard on the SS with either base exterior or Exterior Decor, plus the painted ones were also standard on non-SS cars with Exterior Decor. The chrome accents were used with Custom Exterior, be it an SS or not. That was always my observation.

I may be a Nova Newbie, but my '69 brochure was grabbed from the dealer shelf by me back in '69 :)
My car was original paint with a base interior, Bench seat, rubber mat, and radio delete. The lovers were chrome, but had the paint taken off them by a previous owner. We had a Identical 70 made the same month, same everything, except it had a radio. That one was the same, lovers painted with the edges showing. I'll try to find a pic of that one too (not rolled over).

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine have been full chrome since at least 1988 (when I bought the car) and more then likey since about 1979/1980 when the previous owner did the first rebuild on the car....:)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I dug this stuff out to show you. The black painted-plated louver (with the edges showing) came off the 70 SS Bench seat rubber mat, Base interior that was bought in 79 with 19K for mileage. It was never repainted, and taken off in 76 and hasen't been out of the draw since. The bare non-plated one on the left came off a 69 non-SS that I'm looking at the window sticker as I type this. This car came with the OZJ5AG option-exterior decor package. So what Cam says is ringing true. Also the second picture I took shows the part number for plated or painted (which I'm taking as meaning non-plated).

3943204-01032-Plated

3943206-01033-Painted

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,176 Posts
Here's a couple that came with my "69 (and has a "69" in a triangle on both) and have the same two sets of numbers on both louvers, plated and un-plated. I wonder what the repo louvers have stamped on the back. Anyone have one to look at?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Strip the paint off your grill sometime, you will find it pretty chrome looking underneath all that black.
John.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have an "in the original GM box nos" piece that is gray primer with chrome edges. I would be willing to bet that it is more than likely chrome under the primer. I could dig it out and check tommorrow.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this has been an informative thread...thanks to all that responded...:)

maybe it should become a sticky so the info doesnt get deleted in a site clean up;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts