Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as title says.. I'm going through my stock harness and cleaning it up.. getting rid of things I don't need and adding a few wires for things I do...can people post some clean harness pics.. like pics of the choke wiring the wiring to the alternator and starter and how you routed it to the core support... keep in kind I can't remember where it all routed because it was taken out 11 yrs ago

·
6,523 Posts
Basically on the firewall bulkhead connector it is two connectors locked together and one portion is for the engine wiring and the other for the front end lighting.

How I think things were done was the engine when it was getting ready to be installed, it was dressed with the wiring attached to the different parts and then had the firewall bulkhead connector left dangling to where then once the motor was installed another assembly line person clipped it together with the front end lighting harness and then plugged and bolted it to the bulkhead connector already bolted to the firewall.

From memory on my 73 when it still had the original harness in it was off of the bulkhead connector for the engine wiring all of the wires were grouped together and then by the distributor the wires for it as well as the alternator branched out and then the remaining wires for the starter stayed grouped together and then continued down to the starter (after passing through a tubular heat shield down by the starter).

The front end lighting came out of the bulkhead connector and ran across the driver's front inner fender well and then in spots, different wires came out for things like the driver's side marker light, horns, driver's headlight and then the harness went up and over to the front side of the radiator support and went over towards the passenger side and here too, had wires coming out of the loom for the front grill lights, passenger headlights, and then the passenger side marker light. Also close to the bulkhead connector the wires for the wiper motor came out of the loom.

I believe too that the 73 models, like my 74's, also used the split loom tubing to cover and group the wiring together and in spots had the molded "T" connectors that snapped over the three ends of the split loom tubing at junction points.

Jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks.. anyone else have pics of theres?

Wish I could help. My car was sold running and driving by my dad and I bought it back but unfortunately this is how I bought it. Don’t know if this helps any...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I could help. My car was sold running and driving by my dad and I bought it back but unfortunately this is how I bought it. Don’t know if this helps any...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks guys... that helps some... but how is the starter wires routed?? that was one of my bigger issues. i dont want them to get melted lol

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
thanks guys... that helps some... but how is the starter wires routed?? that was one of my bigger issues. i dont want them to get melted lol
As Jim mentioned earlier, the wires to the starter pass through a metal tube that keeps them away from the manifold and protects them from the exhaust heat. If I remember correctly, the tube has a couple little mounting tabs spot welded onto it that attach to one of the bellhousing bolts and one of the starter solenoid mounting bolts.

Here is a diagram from a 1977 service manual that might help. The small block V8 engine harness routing was very similar throughout the 70''s.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts