Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had to paint a 69 dash with the textured type paint?Can you buy this paint or is there a trick to achieve this?My dash needs repairing at the speaker fins and the paint is damaged,I would like to keep the original suede type appearance if possible.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dash

I'm positive,the car is just a shell on my rotisserie and the rear dash,front dash,as well as the"A"pillars and the"C"pillar or inside sail panel all have the same type of paint and there is a noticeable feel to the paint.Some people have told me it is the sun that's caused this but,under the dash pad has never been exposed to the sun and my 69 parts car is identical except it is green.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No it is textured the parts car is original paint too!I read the Camaro book by Jerry MacNeish and the Camaro is the same he only has 1 quart left and does not want to part with it.By the way 69NovaSS my car came from Cambellford Ontario about 30 minutes from where your car came from but I trailered mine only had 2.5 hours to go is your car a console car if so do you have pics mine is missing and not sure about buying an after market one.The yellow looks good

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
No it is textured the parts car is original paint too!I read the Camaro book by Jerry MacNeish and the Camaro is the same he only has 1 quart left and does not want to part with it.By the way 69NovaSS my car came from Cambellford Ontario about 30 minutes from where your car came from but I trailered mine only had 2.5 hours to go is your car a console car if so do you have pics mine is missing and not sure about buying an after market one.The yellow looks good
I know Campellford well and have been there many times....My car will in the future have a console but it didnt have one originally. From GM my car was a standard interior with a bench seat and column shift th350. I'm sure that you should be able to get some pics posted so you can see what a console looks like..I personally have only heard good things about the repoped consoles...possibly someone here will be able to give you better info as I'm positive several people on here have bought the repoped console.

thanks for the compliment...At the moment it is a little over half way dissasembled...I want to dive into it some more this week...Hopefully if all goes well it will be back on the road before April of 2008 (the 20th aniversary of my owning this Nova)

good luck with your Nova:)

BTW:...can you get pics of your textured dash paint...this is something new to me...I'm sure others would be interested in seeing it:)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dash

I will try to post pics soon don't know if you'll be able to see well enough to notice the texture I'll use the parts car.No windshield in it and there shouldn't be any glair and thanks for the paint link that's pretty cool.My car has buckets,head restaint,console with guages (intrument cluster)& I think deluxe interior the black door panels have the horizontal white strip if any of this matters

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
I will try to post pics soon don't know if you'll be able to see well enough to notice the texture I'll use the parts car.No windshield in it and there shouldn't be any glair and thanks for the paint link that's pretty cool.My car has buckets,head restaint,console with guages (intrument cluster)& I think deluxe interior the black door panels have the horizontal white strip if any of this matters

well with Buckets you automaticly get the deluxe interior as there was not a standard interior with buckets seat option...with the bench seat you could have either the standard or deluxe interior...

Ya that is a really cool paint link and I know when I was buying paint in the past my paint supplier had me look at these very same pages except it was in book form...very good info..

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dash

Don't mean to sound stupid but how do I post pics?Did I mention I'm good at wrenching HA!HA!Computers aren't my thing but willing to learn.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
Don't mean to sound stupid but how do I post pics?Did I mention I'm good at wrenching HA!HA!Computers aren't my thing but willing to learn.

there are two ways...the 1st being that you donate to the site and then you will be able to post pics to the threads....the other (that most people use I suspect) is you have another computer "host" your pics and then you link to them in your posts....here is a thread that shows you how to do it with one of the free hosting sites out there...this is just one example as there are many sites that will host for free...

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27716

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pics

OK set up at Steve'snovasite for pics but I've got to go to work to pay for the toys I'll try to post pics tomorrow thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dash

Only the steel at the top of the dash uses this textured type paint and all three pre 70 novas I've owned have had this 2 CDN cars & 1 US car Camaro (69) same thing.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dash pics

I hope this shows what you want to see the best way to describe the paint is it is like flat paint that has had dust fine dust blown on to it before the paint dried.This starts the windshield & ends under the dash pad and paint then changes to the normal semi gloss.tThis pic is of original paint car,my car is exactly the same only in black.PPG does make the paint but they have outlawed the use of it in Canada I think it is laquer based.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I could be wrong but I suspect that the paint on the top of the dash has cracked, crazed, checked, etc, etc and in general has deteriorated over the years due to exposure to the sun and would be, if it hadnt been exposed to the sun like it was all these years, look exactly like the paint that is under the dash pad...JMO here I am not trying to contridict you as you have said you dont believe that is the case...BUT..I'm sure I'm not the only one but I have never heard of textured dash paint in a Nova, or any car for that matter....BUT I could easily be wrong and you can never say never with these cars as the General did do some interesting things at time...:)

I'm sure others will pipe in with their views on this

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dash

The reason I know it's not the sun is that under the dash pad and "A" pilars have never been exposed to the sun even the rear dash and part that seperate back seat and trunk as well as the inside 1/4 panels (sail panel area)all have this.The part of the dash in the pic shows some of the sun exposed dash and some that was not other than the paint being faded they are identical.the transission from top to bottom is to different to say it's sun fade pics don't quite do enough need to actually see it in person and touch it.See now I'm confused I have seen other cars like this and without this like yours why they are like this is anybodies guess.PPG did e mail me to say the paint is available in US only it's not legal to spray it in Canada.It is Duracryl Acrylic Laquer "DIA" no. 9317 this is from PPG and he confirmed it to be textured,I just have to find away to reproduce that look.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
taz3 said:
PPG did e mail me to say the paint is available in US only it's not legal to spray it in Canada.It is Duracryl Acrylic Laquer "DIA" no. 9317 this is from PPG and he confirmed it to be textured,I just have to find away to reproduce that look.
Hmm...man I love this site...you learn something new every day....hmmm...I wonder as you said...why are some cars one way and some the other:confused:

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next time I'm at one of the shows I'll check to see if deluxe interior is the reason.I've learned more here in the past week than I ever thought was possible thanks for the input.:beer:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts