Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone do 3D printing? I am looking for someone to make a set of tail light lens with no reflectors. I want the B U lights but no reflector, clean lenses all the way. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
I have one, but it won't do you any good.
For starters, my machine's print bed is too small.

But, more importantly, I know of no UV and weather resistant materials that are not opaque.

Standard (or "common") 3D print filaments and resins are extremely sensitive to UV exposure, and break down quickly. Those that are a little more UV tolerant are generally quite brittle. Many are also hygroscopic and will suffer embrittlement and degradation simply from humidity swings. Nearly all are prone to melting, or at least sagging and distorting, if left in the sun in or on a hot car.

I don't see 3D printing to be of any use to you for tail light lenses, unless you use the print as a pattern or mold, and have the actual lenses cast in a UV and weather safe resin - or injection molded by someone doing one-offs cheaply.

The problem is really just the materials available. 3D printing is great for prototyping, but not so great for real world use.
That's what 75% of my prints are: Prototype parts, to prove a concept, verify proportions of 'aesthetic' parts, or check tolerance-stacking in an assembly. The remaining 25% is dumb trinkets for the kids, short term repair parts for toys that will soon be broken again, and tools and fixtures for work holding. Time saved by those tools and fixtures have paid for that machine many times over; but the items themselves don't hold up over time and are rarely used for more than the one job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know that about 3D print filaments. Learned something new today. Darn UV.

Thanks, guess I'll have to think of some other way:mad:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top