Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done quite a bit of searching looking for my answer and since I cant find the answer that almost answers it for me. But I'll ask anyway...

1. are there any NON weld options to add bucket seats to a bench seat 72 nova?

2. If there isnt a non weld option, do I need a bracket for both the inner and outer mounts? Or can I bolt the outer mounts to the existing floor holes and just weld in the inner brackets. And if thats the case is this all I need?
Inner bracket

3. Will there be any issues with my carpet now that there may be some brackets under the carpet that werent there before. Bulging etc.

Thank you all! So much appreciate all the help I receive from you members.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,998 Posts
What kind of seats are you going to be using?

·
Registered
1972 Nova
328 Posts
I would call TMI to see if their model specific brackets (it says specifically that on the 3rd gen tracks that it is a swap from bench to bucket) require welding or if you can just bolt them in (with new holes drilled, and maybe some big washers or a flat brace underneath).

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,998 Posts
If your looking at aftermarket seat a lot of them have their own brackets or require you to build your own. The inner bracket in your link is pretty much for installing original bucket seats. I did a bench to bucket conversion in my 68 and used Pro Car seats and brackets. My seats came white and I had them re upholstered to match my back seat. Warning if you are pretty tall the Pro car brackets make the seats sit up a little higher than original. You can get them with headrest but I don't think headrest were available in 68 so I opted out of them.

·
6,502 Posts
I would think with some fabrication (no welding) one could make outside rocker sill area adaptors and then for the middle where the factory brackets went up and over the transmission tunnel could this new body panel glue be used ?.

I used some of this glue attaching a Maxi Fuse holder in an old cal custom voltage regulator cover and it seems like it is really holding up solidly.

2020-3-26 Thursday Night Corona Work (3).JPG

2020-3-28 SATURDAY Day Work (26).JPG

Another option is you could nut and bolt things and then later when a welder is available, remove the nuts and bolts and plug weld the metal together and then fill the holes enough to close the holes shut.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts