Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 462624 Heads Brand New and 3973487 heads used off my old block. Which pair of heads are great for a mild performance engine? Also which of the two are worth putting money into?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The 3973487 are the only ones worth using in my opinion. They were used on lt1 engines in 1971-1972. The others are not worth anything smog heads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3973487 are the only ones worth using in my opinion. They were used on lt1 engines in 1971-1972. The others are not worth anything smog heads.
Ok. The 487 heads need to be cleaned up big time, magged and checked for problems. Is it good to Port, Polish and Drop bigger valves into the 487s?

·
Registered
290 Posts
like they said 487's r the better choice ithink they produced 270 hp on the 70-72 lt1 engines the 487x heads had 202 intake valves and produced 330hp on the lt1's the thing is you cant find the flow numbers anywhere if someone knows where please share this info i guess that the 487x's flow bout the same as camel humps except thay accept modern accessary, 624's are crack prone low flowing heads i think they barely push 200hp on 350's and 400's.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like they said 487's r the better choice ithink they produced 270 hp on the 70-72 lt1 engines the 487x heads had 202 intake valves and produced 330hp on the lt1's the thing is you cant find the flow numbers anywhere if someone knows where please share this info i guess that the 487x's flow bout the same as camel humps except thay accept modern accessary, 624's are crack prone low flowing heads i think they barely push 200hp on 350's and 400's.
Alright thanks for the info:yes::yes:. Can anyone tell me what the coloring on the valves mean?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok. The 487 heads need to be cleaned up big time, magged and checked for problems. Is it good to Port, Polish and Drop bigger valves into the 487s?
Honestly though if you are going to spend coin to do all that , you may as well look into getting aftermarket alum heads...you can get an entry level set for around $1,000 ready to bolt on... you will spend more than 1/2 that cleaning up what you have.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Honestly though if you are going to spend coin to do all that , you may as well look into getting aftermarket alum heads...you can get an entry level set for around $1,000 ready to bolt on... you will spend more than 1/2 that cleaning up what you have.
I agree or get a set of Vortecs. Wouldn't put much money into a set of smog era open chambered heads. :no:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well I'd have to change other items to swap to vortecs. Or am I better off getting a pair of alu heads?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Go check the price on the parts/labor with your local machine shop. Bounce that against what you are willing to spend on a decent set of aluminums. You don't have to spend a lot of money, just entry level if that's what you want - most any aluminums will be better than the heads you have, plus you save weight.

I saw some inexpensive (=china) alum heads this weekend at the swap meet for dirt cheap! Complete set of 195cft heads was $280 (heads) plus another $150 for parts to complete them = $430 and buy some head gaskets and you are up and running... This is merely an example of going cheap - i would not use them but someone on a tight budget could.
Heck, get those 487's worked stock and then save up for some AFRs!!!

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
1970-1972 LT1'scame with 3927186 casting heads with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves, they also came with screw in studs and guide plates:yes:

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
1970-1972 LT1'scame with 3927186 casting heads with 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves, they also came with screw in studs and guide plates:yes:
Yes I had this same set on an older Nova I built years back. These 186 castings have the accessory bolt holes and closed chambers(64cc). Not all had 2.02s, mine had 1.94 and no screw in studs.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
There was a thread on here the other day for the Jeg's heads I believe. I want to say they were Profiler heads sold by Jegs. I would look into these for around a $1000 I think.

I set some valves on a set of cheapie aluminum heads(Procomp) and I didn't like the rocker to stem alignment on a couple of rockers. Looks like either their valve spacing or rocker stud spacing was off. They worked alright, but you couldn't give them to me.:no:

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I was gonna post from the start since you already have the 624 heads (brand new) just do a valve pocket cleanup and run them. Should be ok for a mild performance engine as you stated.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts