Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to the point where i need to start buying parts to put the engine together. I'm starting off with a std. bore 65 396 block that will accept the larger bores of the 427/454. I'm pretty much starting from scratch as i've sold/am selling most of the parts from the 396. The whole goal was to build something that made stupid power :D and had an old school look to it. The car will see the dragstrip but will see the road more. I was thinking that i wouldn't want to much torque down low as it would just spin, and don't want to much high rpm power as i will only see it at the track. I was thinking 454 but whats y'alls opinion:) .For induction i was thinking a mechanicle injection intake converted to EFI, AFR heads, and a GM ZL-1 cam. The car is going to be a stick, manual rack and pinion steering, and manuals 4 wheel disc brakes. Anyway i know what parts i'd like to use but not to sure on the size of the motor to make. What would be a good sized motor to power this ~2800 pound terror on wheels?

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Does this TERROR have a full frame? If not, I'd go with a small block. But it's your car. And as far as looks goes, you can put the 396 in and say it's a 496. Dave

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
RDJ59, You mention a 396 block that will accept a 427, 454 bore. In my experiences a 396 block won't tolerate that. The cyl walls were to thin in any blocks I had. RM

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Real McCoy said:
RDJ59, You mention a 396 block that will accept a 427, 454 bore. In my experiences a 396 block won't tolerate that. The cyl walls were to thin in any blocks I had. RM
In theroy it can be done...the book "How to Hot Rod Big Block Chevys" says it can be done...its been discussed on here before, not sure if the threads are around or not, but some say it can and some say it cant be done...I guess if I was inclined to do this I would sonic check the block first to verify you would have acceptable wall thickness remaining afterwords:)

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
How about a new ZL1 ? :)
It's light and certainly has stupid power.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
As I said the blocks I have had wouldn't work, I did the sonic test and the walls were too thin. I have also been told of others that did work so I posted as a precaution. Maybe the years the blocks were made has something to do with the wall thickness, I don't know. Then if the walls are OK he'll still have to grind the block to make a 454 and have the rods clear since the 396 blocks I've had did't have the room for that stroke. RM

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I have been told only the real early blocks that had the canister style filter were thick enough. You know how that goes; no one that told me that had actually done it or had one checked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When my dad was going to rebuild this engine he told me the machine shop said it would accept up to a 4.310 bore and still have a little left to go more. What i was going to try and do first is see if someone would trade my 396 for a 427/454 block as i figure a std. bore 396 might be worth something to someone. I was just figuring worst case scenario.
Disregarding the block, what would the best sized big block be to put in this car?

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
402's are cool. Put a set of oval port heads on it after some headwork, and you'll have a screamer. I'm still not an advocate about sticking one in a 1st gen without a front clip, but hey, have a ball. Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts