Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im redoing my 388 stroker that came with my car. I did not get much engine info from the previos owner since he wasnt the guy who built the car. It used to have a tunnel ram with dual 450 mech. secondary carbs and never ran right. The motor has flat top pistons so im assuming roughly 9.5:1compression. Stock heads 993 casting 76cc 1.94 Intake 1.50 exhaust (I know, am getting better heads in the future). I just installed a weiand dual plane manifold with a holley 750 vacuum secondary carb on it. Motor has flowtech longtubes into a full 3 inch exhaust with flowtech race mufflers. Also have a blueracer cam with 280 duration. How much power do you guys think i am roughly making with this setup.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Those heads are your downfall....my guess is 300hp...some 185-195/64cc aluminum heads would really make thhat motor come alive!bm

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
your compression is closer to 8.0 to 8.5.... with 76cc heads and a .041" gasket(normal) agree. maybe 300 to 325hp

·
Registered
508 Posts
your compression is closer to 8.0 to 8.5.... with 76cc heads and a .041" gasket(normal) agree. maybe 300 to 325hp
383 with a flat top piston. normally a whole point higher than a 350. it would be around 9.5-1. a 350 would be around the 8.5-1 mark.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Are they true flat tops with 2 valve relief? or the chamfered edge 4 valve relief piston and a .041 thick gasket and still .020 down hole? Or the 18cc flat top looking piston every calls a flat top?

Not enough information in the post to draw any real conclusions

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I knew these things. Unfortunatelly the previous owner did not know the details on the piston tops and the specific compression ratio. Just trying to get some piece of mind as the tunnel ram setup I had before with the daul 450 carbs ran so poorly that i couldn't even go WOT on the car so it felt ratherslow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts