Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need opinions on this , talked with my builder today , i want a 70-72 Nova , 6.80's-7.0 , he says i can get away with my 292 heads , big hydraulic , looking at a Edelbrock 4+4 intake cause these heads are ported to a 1206 gasket and the 4+4 ( kinda big i know ) i'm looking at has been too. 5500 converter , so low rpm manners not required. I figure the personal challenge will be to see how fast i can get a 388 car with a big hydraulic to go. Thinking of using a 488-513-538 gear with a glide with a 28-29 inch tire

388 approx 11.0 comp , target max rpm 7400

700 dp on a 2 inch spacer to start with , work with carbs from there , consistantcy will also be a deciding factor in all parts selected.

with the size of the converter , thinking i'll need a cam with some rip left in it at 5500 to hit hard at 5500 and still be strong to over 7000

he's got an eagle cast crank , looking at a 5140 or 4130 crank ,, no nitrous planned , 4340 if i was ,,,

looking at this cam
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1788&gid=246

i might call them and see if we could take about 5 degrees off the intake lobe

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
7400rpm? Forget that idea with the hydrulic. Go to a solid flat tappet cam and let her rip.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
you'll put too much into those heads. look up dr. j's performance (he's a member here). I hear he gets some inexpensive heads to flow better than they should.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The hydraulic will not maintain stability at 7400. Put a good solid roller in with adequate springs to control the valvetrain and make more power.

I like to do things that should not be done also, but this is not one of them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
depends, all these guys say you cant do it. I know you can , but how much do you want to spend ? as Aron said Bryce has a head that will flow around 315 cfm for like $1500 assembled. Mike saaki has turned hos 380 ci Hyd cam motor to 9k on the unit and ran 8.80's in the 1/4,but the lifters will cost ya

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I ran those 292's on my 406 with 12 to 1 comp and a 620" lift roller cam. They were ported by Juan Mendoza. 2.05x1.6 valves . You might want to PM camgrinder he can set you up with a nice cam and give you sound advice regarding cylinder heads.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I ran those 292's on my 406 with 12 to 1 comp and a 620" lift roller cam. They were ported by Juan Mendoza. 2.05x1.6 valves . You might want to PM camgrinder he can set you up with a nice cam and give you sound advice regarding cylinder heads.
i WOULD NOT WASTE THE MONEY ON THOSE HEADS. if something happens you cant fix them. I would start with a later aftermarket casting that is larger

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
eh ,,,

he's telling me those heads and a hydraulic ,, decessions decessions ,,

he thinks that cam is too big ,,, it might be ,, i've saw one old Lunati hyd cam go to 8000 ,, and it did it often too i might add , it was something like , 320 adv. 505 lift 114 LSA ,, It pulled very hard past 5000 and up to around 8000 ,, it happened pretty quick while i would be trying to hang on in my buddies car , it was my friends car waaay back around 1980. I've never heard of another hyd cammed engine winding like that but i've never saw another hyd cam that big either . I called Lunati and asked them if they had any old catalogs laying around from back around then ,, i just wanted to see what the @.050 was.

I'm getting lazy ,, so maybe a hyd might be the ticket. I have a 89 vette that has a sweet factory hyd roller block in it ,, but i gotta wait till the insurance settles on that ,,, ( my renter's company car burnt and scorched it , tied up at the moment )

Comp cams lists some interesting hyd cams in their profiles section ,,, one is 253/260 @.050, 540 lift , 108 ,, same one on 110 that might pull harder on top , from what i've noticed about LSA's if u do go wider , you better have big cubes and long duration and more compression and plenty of gear or a short LSA cam engine will smoke you. I don't mind changing cams , in fact i enjoy it to see the differences in them but i want to be pretty close on the first one,,,, the 304 mega might work like was mentioned ,, Comp lists one hyd cam 276 @.050 ,,lol.

Might put the static compression at or close to 12-1 and then see what the cranking pressure looks like. I'd like to use 3/1 ratio for pump/race gas.

these heads i got in a trade and i've never used them , have one stud threaded hole that was repaired. He's going to look at the repair and might see if he can do something different with it. He and i both think a roller spring prolly isn't the best idea. He's done several repairs to the threads in rocker stud holes and was doing one yesterday while i was there. A hyd spring and a stud girdle , I think won't be a problem. He says he's done a bunch of 'em , that it won't be a consideration ,, soo ,, i'm gonna listen to him on this one.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The isky 304mega is a good ole cam ! use some hyd lifters that actually require some lash ! like .002 ,i have not used hyd cams in a while but i remember buying these lifters from PAW . they were a little noisy ,but would rev over 7000 easy . just use light parts if possible . Oh and the heads are ok , sure there are better heads ! But a 6.80-7.00 should be no problem with that combo and the turbo heads .

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I have had good luck using the 202-HY Isky lifters on my hydraulic cams. I do a 250 @ .050" , .535" lift hyd profile for a circle track guy in S.D. They spin them 7500 rpm no problem with the Isky tappets.

Sell the turbo heads and get a nice set of aluminum's. The turbo heads will crack eventually. Especially if they have been ported. A good set of AFR 210's, track 1's or even a dart 215 will get the job done.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have had good luck using the 202-HY Isky lifters on my hydraulic cams. I do a 250 @ .050" , .535" lift hyd profile for a circle track guy in S.D. They spin them 7500 rpm no problem with the Isky tappets.

Sell the turbo heads and get a nice set of aluminum's. The turbo heads will crack eventually. Especially if they have been ported. A good set of AFR 210's, track 1's or even a dart 215 will get the job done.
See like I said talk to John he'll set you up. Onlyreason I mentioned the 292's is if he has them and they're good use 'em. Other wise sell them and get some good alums like John said. Yes they will crack, mine did in the intake seat area. Those heads didn't have a problem handling a Crower solid .529./.543" [email protected] on a 105 LSA...8200 in my 355 all day long. I like the AFR 210 for your 383 application the best. And the victor 4+4 has the biggest plenum area of all the Victor jr's except the super victor, which BTW would be better to use if you going with the AFR's, IMO.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think

my buddy is kinda interested in seeing what he can do with those heads. They are in good mech. condition , he might be looking for bragging rights so he can tell customers what he's done with a set of 'em. He's a good guy ,, he and i have known each other since we were 11. Maybe its a break from the other stuff he does , 500-600 ci big blocks and 15-18 degree stuff. I sorta wanna see what i can do with them too. I'm looking to go try and win some money this time too and not breaking. I've had my days crawling under them all the time.

Eh , that 4+4 intake looks good , but thats not set in stone either. From what i've been reading ,, the Strip Dominator still does better above around 5000 than anything else. If i end up using this 5500 converter will determine final intake selection. I've even had the 283 gear jammer guys tell me they've picked up going to a strip dominator over a victor jr and that shouldn't happen , but alot of them use strip dom's for some reason . The team G's always seem to do good too. I gotta wonder if why you don't see as many of them in magazine builds is because they don't advertise alot ,,

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
well...
i definitely respect your desire to "see what he can do with those heads" but remember heads and cam are where the power comes from.
ive said it time and again- ive regretted not going with afr, my cast heads work great but... theres always someone faster.

your heads will likely hold you back.

just my .02.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
why not check into a set of dart i.e.'s? i hear the IE platinums flow pretty well and for a bare set they're still pretty cheap. I've been considering a pair for a while now...but for what it's worth my setup has gone as fast as 7.37 with a lunati mech. flat tappet with sportsman II's.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
might , might

lets see what this rocker stud thread repair looks like ,,, 200 or 215 darts could be in the picture ,, eh ,,AFR's are nice for sure i don't want to sink a ton of money in this just to go 6.80's-7.0's ,, consistantcy and a decent respecatable time is what i'm looking for.

A big hydraulic cam maybe just a lil too big , and maybe the not so state of the art head , might be the ticket to ensuring a good hook each pass ,,

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Keep the single plane, keep the huge cam, keep the glide, and keep the unnecessarily steep gears..

Put the right cam in it, a performer rpm manifold, a 3 speed trans, and make a usable power band.

Torque and average power are the essence of making a N/A car run better than most.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1st

Keep the single plane, keep the huge cam, keep the glide, and keep the unnecessarily steep gears..

Put the right cam in it, a performer rpm manifold, a 3 speed trans, and make a usable power band.

Torque and average power are the essence of making a N/A car run better than most.
performer rpm manifolds fall completely on their face above 6000 and if you have a 5500 converter , you need the engine to pull past 500 over your stall , turbo 350's can be made to live but powerglides are much simpler to work on and the consistancy factors in - turbo 400's are great but cost too much power for this type of SBC , big gears put alot of torque in the rear axle housing and help to get the chassis to do what you want and just plain works better with a glide in 1/8 mile racing from my experience and i like them too so i'll put a cam in it to match the gear and it will work

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
performer rpm manifolds fall completely on their face above 6000 and if you have a 5500 converter , you need the engine to pull past 500 over your stall , turbo 350's can be made to live but powerglides are much simpler to work on and the consistancy factors in - turbo 400's are great but cost too much power for this type of SBC , big gears put alot of torque in the rear axle housing and help to get the chassis to do what you want and just plain works better with a glide in 1/8 mile racing from my experience and i like them too so i'll put a cam in it to match the gear and it will work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwrHEfML3uw

..Performer RPM.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
performer rpm manifolds fall completely on their face above 6000
Where did you come up with that crap? I've run RPM's on engines that see 7500+ and never seen one fall on it's face. My current 410" made 600 h.p. with one of Dr. J's ported RPM manifolds...but that was only about 6900 rpm.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts