Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide between sending my 2 bolt main 350 to the machine shop or hunting down a 5.3/ 5.7 short block and using a the edelbrock carb conversion kit. I own a mustang gt as my dd. and I just want a fun weekend car, but still have drivability and economy for the day the ford decides to be Found On the Road Dead lol

As stated I own a gt and its a 5 speed so I don't know what 400 let alone 300 horse feels like. But I'm gonna go and aim for 400hp and 450 tq. If that is too unreasonable feel free to tell me. Regardless of engine choice I would prefer to mate it to a tko 500/600. Based on what i have and what my goals are which route is gonna be more cost effective in your opinion? I know what u guys are thinking. Efi is great! I do agree but for me it's not within my budget or capability tuning wise. If going the ls route I would plan to put the factory efi in the future as well as put a Holley hp ecu and stealth ram on the 383 if it could handle it. Please help lol thank u guys

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I know heads run about the same for the ls vs the gen 1 sbc.... I know I could look this up myself but based on others experiences, what upgrades, cam, intake,pistons, can I expect to cost more as opposed to the gen 1 counterpart

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
If I were starting from scratch, I would go the LS route for sure. But, making a conversion is way more than just the $1500 for an used engine. The headers are really expensive still, computer programming, different fuel pump, etc, etc. Maybe $5000 by the time your done.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can see that but I can see the 383 being that much too I'm just wondering which is more cost effective...power wise. Which choice stretches my dollar rather. If 5k is the overall budget which engine will i benefit from most ya know?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would vote for an complete LS motor. Fuel injected and not carbed. Reason being is you can get the power, reliability and still get good fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You don't need a 383 for 400hp. You can build a nice 355 with quality parts, nicely matched to compliment each other and get 400 easy. From reading of all they guys that do the LS
conversions, there seems to be a lot of expensive necessary parts. Don't get me wrong they are great! But you need to decide your budget. Then add 30% to it. Cause we all go over it no matter what. Then decide which direction is better for your budget and needs. Me ,I love a nasty sbc that beats the snot out of musta.....opps sorry! Furds

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I can't decide between sending my 2 bolt main 350 to the machine shop or hunting down a 5.3/ 5.7 short block and using a the edelbrock carb conversion kit.
But I'm gonna go and aim for 400hp and 450 tq. If that is too unreasonable feel free to tell me. Regardless of engine choice I would prefer to mate it to a tko 500/600. Based on what i have and what my goals are which route is gonna be more cost effective in your opinion?
Cost wise alone the 350 is going to be your best option for a nice economical ride in the 420HP 420-430TQ range. 450TQ is the 383. The best of both worlds (HP - TQ - Economy) can be had with the LS combo but cost wise and installation modification wise, it will be the most expensive and the most difficult of the three to finish. It (LS) is the best in the long run without a doubt. JMO Jack

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cost wise alone the 350 is going to be your best option for a nice economical ride in the 420HP 420-430TQ range. 450TQ is the 383. The best of both worlds (HP - TQ - Economy) can be had with the LS combo but cost wise and installation modification wise, it will be the most expensive and the most difficult of the three to finish. It (LS) is the best in the long run without a doubt. JMO Jack
Which heads would u go with

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd like to go with an LS for my next engine, 3370$ for a 400+HP LS conversion complete sounds pretty cheap to me. I've looked into it some and the figures I see seem a lot higher than that to get it done right and actually driving on the road. Can a guy even get the 400horse LS alone for that price?? let alone conversion parts? Shoot, headers and and exhaust rework is gonna be a third of that.

·
Registered
670 Posts
after running SBC after SBC in my Nova from 350 to 383 to 406. yes a set of heads and cam with good compression can net you over 400hp. But driveability is always sacrificed!! Its fun as a weekend toy, but if you plan on putting miles on it. GO LS!! and EFI and never look back.

Dont forget selling all your old parts will help cushion the the cost of the conversion..

Buying an LS as a complete pullout will save you the most money and hastle. Even better buying the car it came from. if its totalled.

Im just under 400rwhp. I only have a few things that didnt come from a factory gm car installed to get where i am.

They are
Cold air intake
MSD wires
Headers
Fuel rails.

I daily drive this car with ac/power steering. With about 18k miles in 7 months and im about drive 1500 miles to the Nova Nationals show. Good luck enjoying that same drive in a 450hp 383.

BTW i average 22mpg per tank. Thats all driving considered. You will get less than half that with the 383.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
after running SBC after SBC in my Nova from 350 to 383 to 406. yes a set of heads and cam with good compression can net you over 400hp. But driveability is always sacrificed!! Its fun as a weekend toy, but if you plan on putting miles on it. GO LS!! and EFI and never look back.

Dont forget selling all your old parts will help cushion the the cost of the conversion..

Buying an LS as a complete pullout will save you the most money and hastle. Even better buying the car it came from. if its totalled.

Im just under 400rwhp. I only have a few things that didnt come from a factory gm car installed to get where i am.

They are
Cold air intake
MSD wires
Headers
Fuel rails.

I daily drive this car with ac/power steering. With about 18k miles in 7 months and im about drive 1500 miles to the Nova Nationals show. Good luck enjoying that same drive in a 450hp 383.

BTW i average 22mpg per tank. Thats all driving considered. You will get less than half that with the 383.
I think the most appealing thing about the LS swap is the driveability/reliability issue. Can you squeeze tons of HP out of a SBC? Sure but driveability and reliability can be questionable. I've run many high horsepower carbed small blocks and could never seem to get my tune to hold. I'd tune up and adjust everything to perfection only to see it go out of whack after a few months and I would have to get in there and tweak it. Granted they were small tweaks but it gets annoying after a while to have to continually be adjusting things. Especially on a daily driver.

There's something to be said when starting up your car in the morning and having it start up on first crank! That and it idling without having to feather the pedal until the choke kicks in.

Stock LS motors are already set up for good HP as most come setup from the factory doing close to 300 HP. Adding better airflow into the motor(Heads/Cam) will make it that much better.

If you need any more proof just talk to some of the guys that have done the swap. I can safely say that most all will tell you that they should have done it years ago!

JMO

John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What fuel system did you use?
I think the most appealing thing about the LS swap is the driveability/reliability issue. Can you squeeze tons of HP out of a SBC? Sure but driveability and reliability can be questionable. I've run many high horsepower carbed small blocks and could never seem to get my tune to hold. I'd tune up and adjust everything to perfection only to see it go out of whack after a few months and I would have to get in there and tweak it. Granted they were small tweaks but it gets annoying after a while to have to continually be adjusting things. Especially on a daily driver.

There's something to be said when starting up your car in the morning and having it start up on first crank! That and it idling without having to feather the pedal until the choke kicks in.

Stock LS motors are already set up for good HP as most come setup from the factory doing close to 300 HP. Adding better airflow into the motor(Heads/Cam) will make it that much better.

If you need any more proof just talk to some of the guys that have done the swap. I can safely say that most all will tell you that they should have done it years ago!

JMO

John
Then how's about going the 383 route with plans to throw a Holley stealth ram mpfi setup? Like I said I own the mustang as a dd so it would be. One o those weeked cruisers, but everybody wants a reliable ride, again thanks so much for sharing info.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Then how's about going the 383 route with plans to throw a Holley stealth ram mpfi setup? Like I said I own the mustang as a dd so it would be. One o those weeked cruisers, but everybody wants a reliable ride, again thanks so much for sharing info.
the holley stealth ram MPFI setup alone would cost the same as an LS swap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts