Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought all the stuff to put the 383ht in my 65 nova. It has the vortec heads on it. I was thinking of running a 26-2800 stall and not sure on the gears yet. What would give the 383 around 425-450 range. The block is all set up for a roller cam.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
What has been done to the heads?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Typically on the Vortec heads you're limited on the max lift to under .480" lift (sometimes quite a bit LESS) because of the springs and retainer-to-seal clearance. A lot of the aftermarket "Vortec" style heads start off with .100" longer valves to allow for more installed height and retainer clearance.

Before you really start looking to get a cam I'd recommend getting the head work done so you have more options available to you.:yes: You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

Think of it this way. Hydraulic roller now or head work AND a solid flat tappet now. The price is closer than you think.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Comp Cams has beehive valve springs that will get you 525+ lift. They have smaller retainers that allow more travel before hitting the guides.

Comp Cams Part Number 26981 and retainer 787

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
springs

I was thinking maybe the lt4 springs would work and maybe find a hot cam. Not sure but the block is a vortec block so I need to keep with the roller cam. Decisions

Shawn

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
For starters I'd go with the upgraded beehive springs and use the GM hot cam and 1.6 rockers. I think it would be a nice 430hp street bruiser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts