Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Building a 383 is no different than a 265,267,283,302,305,307............ Except for grinding a little rod clearance on the block. There are some books on building big inch small blocks, and thousands of magazine articles. Do a Google search and you'll probably find about a million hits.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
rod bolt

sometimes there needs to be a little took off of the rod bolt area if you use a 5.7 or longer rods. If your not planning on alot of continous RPM over 6000, the 400 rods (5.565 rod and use 350 pistons ) do ok in a street strip car for what i've seen and there isn't any clearence issues between the cam and rods. Make sure you get a harmonic balancer and flywheel that are the type for a 400.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
. Make sure you get a harmonic balancer and flywheel that are the type for a 400.
Not all 383's are external balance that use the 400 Balancer & 400/454 flywheel/flexplate

More and more you find internal balance combinations. Using the same Balancer / Flywheel-Flexplate as 283-350 SBC.

Also a Small base circle cam to help improve rod to cam issues.

Al

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you use rods "clearanced for strokers", do you have to use a small base cam? The only one I've ever built we used stock 5.7 rods and ground the rod bolt.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If you use rods "clearanced for strokers", do you have to use a small base cam? The only one I've ever built we used stock 5.7 rods and ground the rod bolt.
even with rods "cleared for strokers" you still have to make sure it clears the cam. Small base circle cams help alot. The last two 383's I built I had to clearance my profiled stroker rods with a standard base circle cam.

Its always best to check clearances with everything. Check HP books there are some that show you what to do when building a stroker engine. Go to Borders books look on Summit or Jegs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts