Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my 383 brand new notices got a ticking sound lash is set at 16 as per cam card says not sure why it’s ticking everything is brand new crower solid lifers. Pin pointed to be number 8 exhaust I’ve re checked the lash on all and that number 8 exhaust one keeps lashing up to 17 or 18 but won’t go past that sound like noise is up in valve cover are not in lifter valley. You guys think it could be faulty rocker ? Let me know very nervous thanks

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Is that .016 hot? On an aluminum head motor that generally should be .005-6 tighter cold. However, beyond that, check the pushrod cup in the rocker and both ends of the pushrod. Also check the tip of the rocker stud. But opening a rocker lash .001-.002 is not enough to develop a distinguishable tick.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lunati never specified that I’m going to call them and check I set them at like 15 cold but I haven’t checked that yet but hoping a lifter isn’t going out on me. It’s quiet at start up when it’s cold then it’s a little loud it not a horrible tick just one you can hear and through 1500 2500 rpm at that point can’t hear no more and yes it is a aluminum headed motor
Is that .016 hot? On an aluminum head motor that generally should be .005-6 tighter cold. However, beyond that, check the pushrod cup in the rocker and both ends of the pushrod. Also check the tip of the rocker stud. But opening a rocker lash .001-.002 is not enough to develop a distinguishable tick.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Solid roller valetrains are noisy. The tick you're hearing may just be the lash. Solid flat tappet cams sound like this also. If its just a tick its normal, if it get to be a knock, well, thats bad. Keep an eye on valve lash. Big changes in lash from the last setting is a sign of a lifter roller going bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s more in higher rpm range 1500 -2500 you start hearing it you can hear light clicking at idle but sounds just like it rockers but but no loud knocking at idle and I would assume the lash would gain a lot majorly in a few miles if the lifter was going bad ? Is that correct
Solid roller valetrains are noisy. The tick you're hearing may just be the lash. Solid flat tappet cams sound like this also. If its just a tick its normal, if it get to be a knock, well, thats bad. Keep an eye on valve lash. Big changes in lash from the last setting is a sign of a lifter roller going bad.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Well, reading back through this, it seems your lash is set too loose cold, so when youre running at higher RPM, and the engine is getting hotter, your lash is opening up too much. Have you checked to make sure there is no rocker to keeper contact? Or rocker to stud contact? Do you have enough spring travel to prevent binding and do you have enough clearance between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the valve seal? Is your pushrod length correct? Lots of things can cause a tick.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rockers were touching the springs just a hair not all were touching so I bought rockers that can accomadate bigger springs and still wanted to touch so I put a little bit longer push rod in and it eliminated the touching also the lash is all the same at hot. Lunati calls for a .16 lash on exhaust and intake hot I set them at 15 cold and they are all staying at 15-16 after running miles so I don’t know what the deal is at this point I changed rockers and push rods and it quieted down a little but still same stuff but not sure where to go beyond this rockers aren’t touching and lash is holding to what spec is so I’m kind of dumb founded here
Well, reading back through this, it seems your lash is set too loose cold, so when youre running at higher RPM, and the engine is getting hotter, your lash is opening up too much. Have you checked to make sure there is no rocker to keeper contact? Or rocker to stud contact? Do you have enough spring travel to prevent binding and do you have enough clearance between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the valve seal? Is your pushrod length correct? Lots of things can cause a tick.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You put longer pushrods in to make the rockers clear? Ok, but are they the proper length to make the geometey work on your engine? Too long and you may be rolling the rocker tip off the tip of the valve at full lift.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The push rods I’m using are on the verge of rockers touching but they aren’t it’s very close the ones that I took out that were making rockers touch was like an 1/8th of an inch shorter if that so if I go any shorter I’ll be touching worse with the rockers the wear pattern is leaned toward down toward header side but u can see it rolls back to center of valve just about. Now. I just drove it and lash is staying at this point I’m just gonna go put some miles on it and keep eye on lash but they are all hanging at 16-17 thousands
You put longer pushrods in to make the rockers clear? Ok, but are they the proper length to make the geometey work on your engine? Too long and you may be rolling the rocker tip off the tip of the valve at full lift.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t recall but when I bought those lifters I bought what the standard lifter bore was for a small block and also checked the bore in the block before I bought and they matched and putting them in they weren’t lose and weren’t super tight. I went and ran it for a couple miles got on it a few times brought it back home and imediatly pulled cover off to check for lash change and everything is holding to where it should be I don’t know where to go at this point couple of my buddy’s tell me to just drive it’s not losing and no metal in oil after almost 100 miles
What is you lifter bore clearance ??? I have seen to many times Crower lifter run to small for GM lifter bores.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
What is you lifter bore clearance ??? I have seen to many times Crower lifter run to small for GM lifter bores.
I ran into this on my dart block. My cam grinder told me he had seen a lot of variance in Crower lifters lately. I ended up buying a set of Morels and they fit much better!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The lash on the cam card is always hot lash. Therefore if you are setting them cold, you need to set them tighter.
Iron block and iron heads, set lash .002" looser than spec when cold
Iron block and aluminum heads set lash .006" tighter than spec when cold

Check the tops of the rocker studs for wear, and make sure they are torqued properly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At this point I’ve had a pushrod in there that was just about as close as I can get it ticked and rockers were hitting i set the lash to spec at “hot” and still ticks I put little longer pushrod in there just to see if it was rockers hitting causing the noise and it’s not so at this point I’ll find right pushrod and run it no matter what I do it wants to do it all rockers are making contact with valve stems and not touching and set to spec lash and it’s not losing lash so who knows what it could be
The lash on the cam card is always hot lash. Therefore if you are setting them cold, you need to set them tighter.
Iron block and iron heads, set lash .002" looser than spec when cold
Iron block and aluminum heads set lash .006" tighter than spec when cold

Check the tops of the rocker studs for wear, and make sure they are torqued properly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
At this point I’ve had a pushrod in there that was just about as close as I can get it ticked and rockers were hitting i set the lash to spec at “hot” and still ticks I put little longer pushrod in there just to see if it was rockers hitting causing the noise and it’s not so at this point I’ll find right pushrod and run it no matter what I do it wants to do it all rockers are making contact with valve stems and not touching and set to spec lash and it’s not losing lash so who knows what it could be
Watch this video on how to select pushrod length. Adjusting pushrod length in order to have clearance for your rocker arms is not the proper thing, and will result in wearing the guides out prematurely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts