Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Looking to build a 383 to replace the 355 I have now that is using oil like crazy. Found the below combination that is supposedly dyno tested and proven. Looks like it can be built for a reasonable price.

Displacement: 383 cu. in.
Carburetor: Holley 750 double pumper
Heads: Air Flow Research 190cc Street
Intake: Air Flow Research FloPower RPM
Camshaft: Comp Cams hydraulic roller, with 236/242° of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.520/0.540 in. lift
Headers: 1 3/4 in.
Distributor: MSD
Timing: 34°
Comp. Ratio: 9.5:1

MAX HP: 503 @ 5500
MAX Torque: 517 @ 4500

I want a street car that will be taken to the track sometimes. I am running a super T-10 trans now but eventually will go with the tremec TKO. How much difference would the above numbers be with a weiand X-celerator intake and a Holley 650 double pumper card. I already have those on the engine I have.

Thanks for all the help !!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
you can

do waaaaay better than the weiand xcelerator 7546 intake. If your gonna spend that kind of money , i'd go all the way and get an intake to match the quality of parts the rest of that package.

I just saw a 388 that went close to 500 hp with a Super Victor and a 750 dp , about the same set up, similar cam

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good information. I don't have a problem changing carb and intake if it's worth the difference. Just drawing on everyones knowledge here before moving forward.

Thanks !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You can read up on Artie's 383 build with Iron head Sportsman II's in Best of Archive above. Ran mid to low 11's at over 115 in a 3400 lb street Camaro. 500hp/500ft/lb with 1.6 intake rockers but track rules limiting it to 11.50 ET hindered further development.

AFR's have better potential with less work so you are on the right track.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I have a 383, Vortec Heads, Air Gap intake, XE274 that made 463 TQ and 462 HP. The torque curve was nice and flat. It was broke in and dynoed with a Holley 750 DP.

Just some real world experience for you in case you were wondering.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
383 Doug Herbert Short Block

Anyone used the doug herbert 383 short block ? They say it's balanced and clearanced already. Does that include cam clearancing also.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Anyone used the doug herbert 383 short block ? They say it's balanced and clearanced already. Does that include cam clearancing also.

Thanks for the help
You use a small base circle cam.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've been using small base circle cams for several years, but on my current 383, as well as my 410, I went back to standard size cams with no issues.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Veno how do I know if the kit from Doug Herbert uses those. It says the rods are " 6 inch scat forged I beam "

Thanks for the help !!!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
ASK?????:rolleyes:....

call.. if they are the newer style capscrew rods.. they "should clear".. if the through bolt type.. then clearancing on the bolt head needs to be done....

If its a balance kit..... you really need to call.. and be sure...

then CHECK when you assemble for peace of mind

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
You suggested buildup is almost identical to my current build. I run the eagle I beam rods with no clearance issues and I am not running a small base cam.
My build has 10.7:1 compression and I run a efi setup instead of the carb.

It is a great street setup and would do ok at the track. I am considering freshening things up over the winter and switching from my old AFR 190's to the AFR 195 Eliminator heads.

Do they even make AFR 190's anymore?
Tg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts