Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this combination running prior to disassembling. the heads are cut for 2.02 valves and cnc ported, got them for a deal. i can’t remember the cam that was in it but I know it was an isky. It’s been awhile since I looked at it. I’ve been reading on sights that the heads my cause detonation. Even when I ran this thing hard and I never had any issues.
- Also the block is .30 over With flattops and roller tip rockers.

So I guess my question is what are your thoughts about using these heads?

In the beginning stages of rebuild so I’m trying to plan ahead.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm assuming you meant 14022601, and not 801?? Just a early 80's 305 head, 58cc chamber that is probably now 60-61cc with the bigger valve and clean-up work??

Onless you've zero decked the block, if you are using a composite head gasket around .040" thick it only puts you at about 9.6:1 compression. I wouldn't expect it to be detonation prone with a decent camshaft in it.

Whether that are worth re0using is just going to depend on your assessment of how good the port work is combined with whether that need a rebuild again....a lot of better heads out there that the cost of rebuilding old iron starts getting above 2/3 tyhe cost of better new heads....so it isn't money well spent rebuilding old anymore..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have triple checked they are 801 with 3,376 miles on them so they have hardly been ran.i agreeif they needed rebuilt I would just buy some new aftermarket. Looking at comp cam xtreme energy. I have not cc the combustion chamber yet but I do havethem up on the stand now and will try to get to that over the next couple days

·
Registered
358 Posts
Those look a lot more like 601's to me, the casting is a little mushed over. The difference between the two is negligible, as they both have small valves (601 is a 1.84 intake, 801 is a 1.72 intake) and were run on 1980-1986 standard-issue 305's with 58cc chambers.

Unless they're freshly rebuilt and need nothing, pass on them and move to something with a modern design. Cylinder heads are the deciding factor for what an engine makes for power, they're the one thing you shouldn't skimp on.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's a 6 not an 8. Look to the left at the other number 8, big difference.

·
Registered
254 Posts
305” heads, CNC ported? Not too sure about that, when there are thousands of Vortecs sitting in junkyards everywhere. Look at this pic of the intake port on a Vortec compared to a typical POS cast iron: all the porting in the world won’t help that older head. And the modern combustion chamber design is far superior, they run fine with very little advance timing. On regular gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now I feel like an idiot lol. Yea it is a 6. I have a set of vortec heads sitting on the shelf due to throwing a rod in the block I had. Don’t vortecs already have a beehive spring?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, Vortecs come stock with beehives. And before someone on here gets started on that, I’ve ran several sets of heads with the stock, 200k miles springs and never had an issue. Vortecs are great in a low dollar build, nothing can touch them at about $200/set, used.
Of course, if money is no issue, you can buy aftermarket heads that will made more top end power, at the expense of some low rpm torque. If you’re running 4:88 gears and a 5000 rpm stall, that won’t matter. If you’re trying to pull Hiway gears it will.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Yes, Vortecs come stock with beehives. And before someone on here gets started on that, I’ve ran several sets of heads with the stock, 200k miles springs and never had an issue. Vortecs are great in a low dollar build, nothing can touch them at about $200/set, used.
Of course, if money is no issue, you can buy aftermarket heads that will made more top end power, at the expense of some low rpm torque. If you’re running 4:88 gears and a 5000 rpm stall, that won’t matter. If you’re trying to pull Hiway gears it will.
Since when do Vortec's come stock w/beehive springs? How much lift will they handle?

·
Registered
254 Posts
This pic shows the stock retainers/springs, they appear to be smaller at the top than the base. The clearance is about .440”, from the bottom of the retainer to the top of the valve guide, I suppose it varies slightly. This works perfectly with 214/224* at .050”cam that everybody sells. This make a very streetable combination that runs good with Hiway gears, at the lowest possible cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Midmo, that's not a beehive, that's just a straight spring typical of all stock vortec heads.

A beehive will be close to 5/16"" smaller at the top. with a little .975" or so diameter retainer.

Alex's Parts sells a drop-on spring and retainer kit for Vortec heads that allows .550" lift with stock uncut valve guides. it isn't a beehive either.
Flat tappet version:

They have a couple of different hydro roller spec versions too, depending on the pressure needed.

There are guys who do the mix and match thing with LS6 beehives and Comp Cams retainers and locks, but I've never bothered with it. Can't use the LS retainers and locks because they are 8mm stem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had this combination running prior to disassembling. the heads are cut for 2.02 valves and cnc ported, got them for a deal. i can’t remember the cam that was in it but I know it was an isky. It’s been awhile since I looked at it. I’ve been reading on sights that the heads my cause detonation. Even when I ran this thing hard and I never had any issues.
- Also the block is .30 over With flattops and roller tip rockers.

So I guess my question is what are your thoughts about using these heads?

In the beginning stages of rebuild so I’m trying to plan ahead.
The only worster heads than urs R sitin on TBI 350 motors.. Vortec suggestion is worth 50+ HP. Sell ur 601s to someone needin a boat anchor. Better Cam match to vehicle/what ur doing can also help. It's often where folks go overboard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts