Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently taking out my rearend from my 72 with a 308 gear and putting in a posi. The new rearend came out of a 1982 trans am. Thought it came from a WS6 for the reason it is set up for disc brakes so I thought I was getting a 342 gear. Found out it came from a turbo TA and it has a 308 gear.

Now I am looking to beef up the gear sense I am powering it with a 383.

383, TH350, 3 speed, Auto..

-Any suggestions on a good gear ratio? Don't do much highway at all.
-Where I could but it and where is a credible place with good prices?
-Around how much I'm looking to spend with an install kit also?

Thanks, most appreciated

·
Registered
496 Posts
i assume the rear the posi unit is coming out of is the same as your nova? the trans am would be a 7.5 while your novas an 8.2/8.5 if stock

·
Registered
309 Posts
Toss the 7.5, locate a 8.5 out of a 70-74 nova or 71-81 ta-camaro trans am's and Z28's were mostly posi's, find the gear ratio you want because it will cost the same for the right ratio as it will for the wrong one, but if you got to change the gear in your 8.2 I have a 3.73 I'm not going to use it is a motive gear, brand new $150.00 pm me if you want it

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The rear end in your car should be a 8.5 and is a very strong rear. If the other rear is a 9 bolt don't waste your time with it, parts are real expensive and they're weak in a 9 or 10 bolt set up. What you have now, if it's a 8.5 is as good as a 12 bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Plus a 3rd gen F-body rear end will be quite a bit wider than you Nova's rear end.

·
Registered
496 Posts
as said, 8.5s are easily built as strong as a 12 bolt, im building one now with a housing from a parts car i made money on, a used auburn posi my boss gave to me, some richmond 3.90s and moser axles i got dirtcheap...i plan to hang the wheels on this rear=]

·
Registered
347 Posts
to add to this, I have a question of my own.

You said an 81 camaro. I have a 74 with 3.08 open. I have an 81, Z28 with factory posi and 4.56 gears. Good wear on it, however, it is covered with surface rust and 10 people told me I could clean it up and use it no problem.

Whats best? To remove the whole center and use it in my rear of the nova? Or to just build the rear in the nova itself.

Main reason for asking, is actually, will an 81 camaro complete rear bolt up in the Nova?

Anyone know what the common spline is on the 81 Camaro rear to the 74 Nova?

And btw, I have a friend that says as long as you're not racing a 1/8, 3.73's should be nice with that 383 engine. But he's built Camaros, if that makes a diff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hats off to the ones who said its wider, and toss it the TA rearend.

Went to put it in tonight after I had the calipers, rotors, plumbing and everything on it ready to go. Turns out it is too wide and will not work.

WHAT TO DO NOW?

I have the old rearend with a 308 open 10 bolt set up for drums
The new TA rearend with a 308 posi 10 bolt set up for disc

I want a posi with a 341 or 373

Can I take the posi out of the TA and buy a new gear and have it installed in my old rear end? Will that work?

If so I might go that route then convert the old one to disc set up.

Any idea what I could get for a TA rearend ready to install?

What rearends will actually fit in my car?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
The tranny ratio will kinda dictate what rearend gear ratio you want. I have a 700-r4 with a really low 1st gear and a ford 9in with an auburn limited slip and richmond ring/pinion at 3.73 Pretty low first gear setup, and a nice freeway fourth gear ratio. Nice snappy hole starts.. Oh, not for racing though, steet use only. The tranny I have and the auburn wont live up to much 1/4 mile use. JR

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I think you ought to do some research before taking any more things apart.
The '82 T/A rear axle is wider and has a totally different coil spring suspension.
A few minutes with a tape measure and just looking at the way it's mounted would have prevented all that work.
There are no "kits" to install it and the posi won't fit your axle. They are different rear ends. You might be able to salvage the brakes.
Somewhere in the forum there's a list of years and models that are the right width and mounting configuration.
Your best bet is to configure your 8.5" 10 bolt (if that's what you have) to posi, change the gear ratio, aftermarket axles and rear discs. They can be built strong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts