Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
calling on engine guru's , i've got a 355 with a pair of double hump 64cc chamber heads , i was thinking about putting a set of aluminum AFR's on it but having a little trouble deciding on size . i'm looking at some AFR 195 with 65cc chambers , i've seen different opinions on this ans other sites , some say too small some say too big , it don't know everything about the motor but what i do know or was told by the seller is this
355 ci sbc
4 bolt main
flat top pistons (as seen through spark plug hole with scope)
hydraulic flat tappet lifters
cam (maker unknown, was told 500 lift 288 duration)
Weiand 7546 single plane intake
Holley 650 double pumper
Hooker competition headers
Are 195's the size to go ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is your intended use. Mainly street, strip. little of both? What RPM do you shift at?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little of both , right now i shift it 6000 , a think a bit conservative , forgot to mention it's aslo got a th350 with 3000 stall converter and Dana 60 with 3.77's

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They are definitely not too small. Anywhere from 180 cc to 195 is fine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd go 195's. On my 400, I started with 210's and then moved to 220's...no looking back - should have gone with the larger size in the first place.

Even OEM LT4's came with 195 intake ports from the factory.

AFR's will be a huge improvement in performance.

Might even consider putting it on the dyno before and after...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a similar set up running 170cc heads. I was shifting around 6k. Went with a little bigger cam so gonna bring shift point up to around 6500. Figure I need around a 185cc head now. If you're stepping up for the AFR's it's hard to go wrong with either. 180's a little more bottom end and the 195's a little more top end. Some guys like to try and plan for the future. I don't but if you had the thoughts of something bigger like a 383 down the road I'd go with the 195's.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
Yeap I would go 195's.

I have the 210's on my 383 solid roller. I'm building a 400 sbc(.020")and thinking of using the 195's on that build. Nice hydraulic roller(.545"-.565"/241 int./247) exh. roller and probably gonna end up putting it in a shortbed C10 unless I need the shortblock for my car then I would just throw my 210's on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iam planning on going bigger down the road but it would probably be a sb427 or 434 , so i'd still need to go to a different head anyway so just trying to figure what'll work best for this engine
Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
188 Posts
Airflow needed is dictated by CI and RPM. Reason why a head that is right for a 350 turning 5500 rpms won't be optimal for a 434 spinning to 7k. Depends on application but if trying to find a middle of the road head I would lean towards bigger, within reason. The way the better quality heads flow nowadays you won't lose much down low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts