Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a top end built 350 in my 77 Nova.

My question is what pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and crankshaft would I need to build this engine to withstand a 200 shot of No2 approximately 10 times a month during the racing season?

It would be most helpful if you could include jegs part numbers but if not thats ok too. Im new to the nitrous game so i will be using a controller and plate system with my carb. Suggestions on a particular system would be helpful too.
I have edelbrock performer heads and intake and my cam is decent for this application as it allows more lift for exhaust.

Addition question would be: If i have to get a crankshaft would it be wise to get one with a longer stroke in addition to strength? A 2 for 1 power addition.

·
Registered
290 Posts
noz

All forged, crank, rods and pistons dont go with the cheapest forged pistons, you want to go up atleast midway id say atleast $500 set of pistons a 200 shot is getting up there some and as far as the stroke that depends on if your looking to increase cubic inch of motor that doesnt add to durabilty of using noz,stroke adds torque and horsepower hope this helps good luck...

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Since you are new to the nitrous world I'd highly recommend you give Steve Johnson at Induction Solutions a call. Steve has a lot of knowledge and a lot of customers across the country. He will get you off on the right foot and take the mystery out of it. His customer support is excellent and he has all the nitrous parts you will need.
Steves website is: http://inductionsolutions.com/

You can't go wrong with Diamond Pistons either. They supply pistons to many racers across the country and know what piston, coatings, and ring packages work best with nitrous applications. We spray 1,100+ hp of nitrous every pass and haven't hurt anything in three years, so if you have the right components and get your tune-ups right, it will work well without any carnage.
Diamond Pistons (Mike or Nick): http://www.diamondracing.net/

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have a top end built 350 in my 77 Nova.

My question is what pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and crankshaft would I need to build this engine to withstand a 200 shot of No2 approximately 10 times a month during the racing season?

It would be most helpful if you could include jegs part numbers but if not thats ok too. Im new to the nitrous game so i will be using a controller and plate system with my carb. Suggestions on a particular system would be helpful too.
I have edelbrock performer heads and intake and my cam is decent for this application as it allows more lift for exhaust.

Addition question would be: If i have to get a crankshaft would it be wise to get one with a longer stroke in addition to strength? A 2 for 1 power addition.

Just my thoughts but if you have a stock block 350 and it is making 400 HP now and you plan to spray it with a 200 hp shot you are at the very top end of the blocks strength and you are spraying it to gain 50% of it's total power which is extreme. Also going to make a big difference in your torque converter stall so it would be a dog off the bottle so it would be right with the added power. I think you may want to consider a after market block, then aftermarket internals. Since the cost of those parts won't change with the stroke and bore size I would build a motor as big as your heads could handle or sell ther top end of the motor you have and just build a real good motor, them you'll not need to spray it. Just a different thought to ponder.......LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
retard the timing according to jet settings and make sure you have adequate fuel supply for the engine and the nitrous solenoid. dont flip jets and you will be fine. a good crank, rods and pistons is a must. Also good ignition box will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts