Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 with 350. bought a summit low mount alternator kit. (relocates the alternator to drivers side low mount position)

the kit makes the alternator kit the crossmember, its so bad i cant actually mount the kit to the block.

what other kits have you guys used that did work?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I have a low mount that never was taken out of the package....It would work fine if I didn't have power steering....If you don't use it...Do Like I'm going to to do...........re sell it..

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I have that ebay bracket and it works. Also you could get a tubular frame crossmember, it might work with your current bracket. Although that certainly isn't the cheapest route.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
You could always lower the cross member buy making spacers for each side:yes:
That would get my vote, and be much cheaper. I'm gonna guess that the clearance issue isn't going to require a huge spacer to fix.

If you don't wanna do that, then a Nova specific low-mount bracket would be in order.

All that engine crossmember really does is give a stable platform the front brake crossover line anyway. It might provide a little bit of rigidity to the front frame, but I'm pretty sure it's just there to run the brake line on. :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
If you have a set of tubular lower control arms on the car you could use a tubular crossmember in place of the factory one............it allows for all the clearance you will need. Here are a couple of photos showing the clearance. If you look closely at the brake line it outlines the factory crossmember as the line was routed along the top. Pay no attention to my alternator as the mounts were custom.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Great posts guys, thanks for the information I just ordered one of those Ebay brackets. MychevyII really nice web page on your build, thanks the information is really helpful.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after trying to make it work i was going to have to lower my crossmember about an inch.. f that.

ordered right one off ebay:mad:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used a bracket from Chevy 2 Only on a couple of cars and it goes on with no modification at all and its close but has plenty of room to do its job.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea wish summit mentioned it wont fit...

hopefully summit will take the kit back. they are pretty dang good about customer service

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
finaly got the ebay one installed. had to reclock my alternator but it fits now.

does anyone know the belt size? i've been to one parts store so far but its been the case of "whats the year make and model of the car?" :mad::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Snug the alternator up about halfway through the adjustment space. Take a string and loop it around where the belt needs to go, and then measure the length. I got around the year/make/model question by saying "It's a custom application, I need a belt that's xx inches long" and went from there. I ended up going back to swap for a slightly shorter one, so there is some trial and error. Buy a couple in different sizes close to what you measured, and return what doesn't fit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts