Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked on here so sorry! But I was thinking of getting a Thumpr cam for my 74 Nova w/ Sbc 350. For right now I kinda wanna keep it as stock as I can except for what's needed to install a cam. I've heard Thumpr cams are more sound then performance but I kinda figured they have to have more performance then a stock 350 cam. If anyone who has had one could let me know there opinion I would be thankful. And if anyone can tell me a overall good cam that would be great.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked on here so sorry! But I was thinking of getting a Thumpr cam for my 74 Nova w/ Sbc 350. For right now I kinda wanna keep it as stock as I can except for what's needed to install a cam. I've heard Thumpr cams are more sound then performance but I kinda figured they have to have more performance then a stock 350 cam. If anyone who has had one could let me know there opinion I would be thankful. And if anyone can tell me a overall good cam that would be great.
I'm going to guess that your 74 350 is the low compression stock motor. If you have power brakes the "Thumper" probably will not work with them as it has tons of overlap (74*) and worst of all you probably have stock rear gears in your car.

FROM COMP WEB SITE:
Hydraulic-(Thumpr™) High performance street, stock converter ok, best with 2000+ converter and gears, choppy/thumping idle

If you want a choppy idle you would be better off using a "268-270ish" total duration cam on a 106 LSA. That will keep the overlap low enough and give you a strong bottom-end to mid-range push with your ultra low compression 350 and freeway flyer gears. Jack

·
Registered
139 Posts
the thumper will work will have to get different springs where these cams lose their worth in vacuum is the mutha thumper and the big mutha thumper those two you have to have a stall converter like 2500 for the mutha thumper and around 3000 stall for the big mutha thumper and those two is needing like 9:5:1 compression but the regular thumper does not affect vacuum accesories like the other two plus you can run stock gears and stock converter this cam is more like the muscle car cam shaft and yes it is a little better than stock 350 cam good luck on your cam swap :D oh and make sure you have video of it burnin rubber lol

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
the thumper will work will have to get different springs where these cams lose their worth in vacuum is the mutha thumper and the big mutha thumper those two you have to have a stall converter like 2500 for the mutha thumper and around 3000 stall for the big mutha thumper and those two is needing like 9:5:1 compression but the regular thumper does not affect vacuum accesories like the other two plus you can run stock gears and stock converter this cam is more like the muscle car cam shaft and yes it is a little better than stock 350 cam good luck on your cam swap :D oh and make sure you have video of it burnin rubber lol
Probably not with power brakes. Even Comp won't make that claim. It will work in a low compression 350 WOPB but the Thumper is still marginal on vacuum and almost always below 12hg in a 350. 74* of overlap is just too much for power brakes. You might get it to operate in town but with the first "Panic Stop" the power aspect of the brakes is gone. A freeway flyer rear and low compression is a bad combo in a 350 with a Thumper in my opinion but that is just my opinion. Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts