Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My 1963 Nova SS has a modified 283 and a power glide --- the entire car is stock except for the engine and I want to keep it that way. I have a 2500 rpm stall torque convertor in the power glide and wish I would have put a 3000 rpm stall in it as the engine has low torque and the car is light. Power glides were used in Corvettes, Nova's etc...Chevrolet used power glides for years in many cars. My high school Nova had a 302 in it with a power glide. I drove the High School car and my current car everywhere. My current Nova does 3000 rpm at 70 mph with 308 gears . The 350 small block will be fine with the power glide. Enjoy your new Nova. FYI the power glide was one of the strongest automatics built by GM and a lot of dragsters use modified power glides today! .
I picked the car up yesterday, and loving it as expected.
The PG is definitely a gas hog, but liking it so far. It has 300 gears and runs about the same at 70 (3k rpm) on the highway. It does have a 3500 stall...I still don’t know what the hell it means yet. Lol.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I picked the car up yesterday, and loving it as expected.
The PG is definitely a gas hog, but liking it so far. It has 300 gears and runs about the same at 70 (3k rpm) on the highway. It does have a 3500 stall...I still don’t know what the hell it means yet. Lol.
Stall speed is the speed at which your torque convertor will allow you to basically have like slippage until it kind of locks up. Hold your foot on the brake and see what rpm your engine will do before releasing the brake --- you should get to at least 3000 rpm then let your foot of the brake and you should launch --- at 3000 rpm you are hitting a higher power band for the engine. Many power glide owners use stall torque convertors to help in place of a low first gear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Stall speed is the speed at which your torque convertor will allow you to basically have like slippage until it kind of locks up. Hold your foot on the brake and see what rpm your engine will do before releasing the brake --- you should get to at least 3000 rpm then let your foot of the brake and you should launch --- at 3000 rpm you are hitting a higher power band for the engine. Many power glide owners use stall torque convertors to help in place of a low first gear.
may be a dumb question, what’s the point of having both converter and a trans brake? Why have both of them?

I do have some pictures. I’ll post a few when I get home. Not sure how to post on the website from my phone

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would look at the engine tune before blaming the glide for the poor mileage. I have 69 Chevelle, 350, glide, 3.08 gears, 28 inch tall rear tires. I can get 18-20 for everything except stop light driving.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
741 Posts
I don't think there is any difference in transmission tunnel between 66 and 67. The 700R should fit without any tunnel modification. You will have to have a different cross member and shorten the drive shaft.

I got cross member from GM Classics (502-239-8487) and had drive shaft shortened at local shop. I don't regret changing from PG one little bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a big difference between a torque converter with a higher stall speed and a transmission brake. The trans brake basically puts the engine into first and reverse at the same time. When you release the brake the transmission is then only in first gear. It's only for launching the car quickly and consistently. A torque convertor with a higher stall speed basically slips more until a higher RPM. This keeps the engine in the optimal RPM range pretty much all the time under full throttle. In addition to helping the car get moving, it affects how much RPM is lost when shifting. In drag racing you'll generally be in the 5000-6000 range as few drag race motors want to ever see RPM lower than that.

Chris.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
There is a big difference between a torque converter with a higher stall speed and a transmission brake. The trans brake basically puts the engine into first and reverse at the same time. When you release the brake the transmission is then only in first gear. It's only for launching the car quickly and consistently. A torque convertor with a higher stall speed basically slips more until a higher RPM. This keeps the engine in the optimal RPM range pretty much all the time under full throttle. In addition to helping the car get moving, it affects how much RPM is lost when shifting. In drag racing you'll generally be in the 5000-6000 range as few drag race motors want to ever see RPM lower than that.

Chris.
Thanks for that! I'll definitely never use the trans brake. I don't like breaking my cars!

I don't think there is any difference in transmission tunnel between 66 and 67. The 700R should fit without any tunnel modification. You will have to have a different cross member and shorten the drive shaft.

I got cross member from GM Classics (502-239-8487) and had drive shaft shortened at local shop. I don't regret changing from PG one little bit.
Good to know! Took her out on the highway on Saturday and was around 3k at 65-70mph. I would definitely like to cruise 75-80 without issues

I would look at the engine tune before blaming the glide for the poor mileage. I have 69 Chevelle, 350, glide, 3.08 gears, 28 inch tall rear tires. I can get 18-20 for everything except stop light driving.
Taking her in to get tuned may just be the first thing I have done

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
@CurtMo Nice ride you have there. Looking at the engine setup, that thing looks like it's built for race and an occasional street jaunt/cruise night for fun but probably not a daily from what I can see. Someone set that thing up for stealth racing with a nitrous plate system (and the NOS switch/button on the dash ;)) and CalTracs, rear gears and the stall on the converter. Not sure but I may be wrong... been wrong more often than not...:p Still, PG all day probably not going to hurt that car much and a 200/700R can make it a more streetable car for sure, but you may need to do quite a bit more homework as far as the cam and nitrous goes when choosing the correct stall and converter as a replacement with any 200/700R trans swap. Nitrous cars have special needs for converters so you need to really know what pills or jets (HP+) are in that nitrous system or if you even use it. Nice ride, though! Looks like a lot of fun!!

Welcome to SNS!

~Andy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@CurtMo Nice ride you have there. Looking at the engine setup, that thing looks like it's built for race and an occasional street jaunt/cruise night for fun but probably not a daily from what I can see. Someone set that thing up for stealth racing with a nitrous plate system (and the NOS switch/button on the dash ;)) and CalTracs, rear gears and the stall on the converter. Not sure but I may be wrong... been wrong more often than not...:p Still, PG all day probably not going to hurt that car much and a 200/700R can make it a more streetable car for sure, but you may need to do quite a bit more homework as far as the cam and nitrous goes when choosing the correct stall and converter as a replacement with any 200/700R trans swap. Nitrous cars have special needs for converters so you need to really know what pills or jets (HP+) are in that nitrous system or if you even use it. Nice ride, though! Looks like a lot of fun!!

Welcome to SNS!

~Andy
What is this nitrous you mentioned?

haha! Just messing!

The story about the car is the gentlemen I bought it from bought it how it pretty much is, and it was his weekend cruiser. He had the 3.00 gear made, exhaust, and that is about it. The guy he bought it from is the one who did everything. He was planning on making it a drag car. He also raced speedboats and needed the cash, so he got rid of the car to fund the boat.

The nitrous isn't completely setup, and I'll be getting rid of it. It appears the wires from the solenoids have never been ran, they still have the plastic caps on the wires. It will eventually be taken out. With that, I have not a clue the jet size.

All I really know about the car is:

355 sbc
Holley Double Pumper
Crower cam (all I know)
3500 stall convertor on aftermarket PG
Wilwood front/rear
CalTracs - Because you just told me. lol. Had to use my Google
Dougs headers
MSD
Lifters
and it is too damn loud. Wish the exhaust was ran to the back instead of the sides

For the price, I couldn't pass it up. I was happy the interior was pretty much all there, and no rust...

I have the cross member for ya. Didn't have to mod the tunnel in mine.
Thanks! I can't go buying everything at once...until I like the car more than my Wife. I'll piss her off then...lol

I appreciate it! When the time comes, I'll reach out to you for the trans. It will be one of the first things I do

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Looks like some Vortec heads too so could well be a pretty stout little motor! Sounds like you picked up a real gem, my friend! Fuel system looks like it was done with care and some good parts too. Well thought out. Should be a fun car with the PG but even more fun with a trans with OD/lockup converter. I like boats but really, they're just holes in the water we just dump our money into. And they're not quite as forgiving if you make a slight error in your piloting as is a car at speed. Easier to recover with tires and brakes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What is this nitrous you mentioned?

haha! Just messing!

The story about the car is the gentlemen I bought it from bought it how it pretty much is, and it was his weekend cruiser. He had the 3.00 gear made, exhaust, and that is about it. The guy he bought it from is the one who did everything. He was planning on making it a drag car. He also raced speedboats and needed the cash, so he got rid of the car to fund the boat.

The nitrous isn't completely setup, and I'll be getting rid of it. It appears the wires from the solenoids have never been ran, they still have the plastic caps on the wires. It will eventually be taken out. With that, I have not a clue the jet size.

All I really know about the car is:

355 sbc
Holley Double Pumper
Crower cam (all I know)
3500 stall convertor on aftermarket PG
Wilwood front/rear
CalTracs - Because you just told me. lol. Had to use my Google
Dougs headers
MSD
Lifters
and it is too damn loud. Wish the exhaust was ran to the back instead of the sides

For the price, I couldn't pass it up. I was happy the interior was pretty much all there, and no rust...
View attachment 420379

Thanks! I can't go buying everything at once...until I like the car more than my Wife. I'll piss her off then...lol

I appreciate it! When the time comes, I'll reach out to you for the trans. It will be one of the first things I do
Those are vortec heads.

You can get quieter mufflers (magnaflow is the best imo) and route it through the back. What part of town are you in. I'm in Escondido/San Marcos area.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Those are vortec heads.

You can get quieter mufflers (magnaflow is the best imo) and route it through the back. What part of town are you in. I'm in Escondido/San Marcos area.
I'll get rid of them once my wife gets tired of it rattling the walls.

I'm in Chula Vista, by Southwestern

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks like some Vortec heads too so could well be a pretty stout little motor! Sounds like you picked up a real gem, my friend! Fuel system looks like it was done with care and some good parts too. Well thought out. Should be a fun car with the PG but even more fun with a trans with OD/lockup converter. I like boats but really, they're just holes in the water we just dump our money into. And they're not quite as forgiving if you make a slight error in your piloting as is a car at speed. Easier to recover with tires and brakes.
That is true! I wanted a toy I could jump into anytime, not just the summers.

So far it is running great!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I would be hard pressed to not just put a t-350 in it with the gears and the rpm you are turning now. The extra gear will help it accelerate, and your cruise rpm is not that high. Not knowing what the cam is I would be a little concerned about lugging the engine down too low with overdrive. IF the cam doesn't seem that radical then you would be fine with overdrive.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts