Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am about to pick up a 66' (tomorrow) with a 350 sbc and powerglide with 3.00

I'll eventually swap out the PG, but, is it something that should be immediate? I'm not looking to race. I'm looking to cruise around town and the occasional 30-45 minute cruise on the highway.

From what I have read on this forum, PG isn't recommended unless you are high power or low weight. Does anyone here daily their PG?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The powerglide is fine for daily driving. It won't be a race car with the powerglide and 3.0 gear but it will drive just fine.

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
153 Posts
The Powerglide in my car was daily driven by my dad for 20+ years with no issues. It'll just scream a little at highway speeds due to the lack of overdrive...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Powerglide in my car was daily driven by my dad for 20+ years with no issues. It'll just scream a little at highway speeds due to the lack of overdrive...
Thanks for this. This was a worry of mine. Curious on how it affects the motor if I was to drive an hour and a half on the highway at 65-70? Assuming it could only take that beating for so long, but again, I know nothing about this stuff

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If you are use to driving modern vehicles with overdrive transmissions, it will be a little unsettling to hear and see(with a tach) the RPM’s at highway speed. My 64 had a Glide and it did what it was supposed to do but I really didn’t like it. I would shift it manually because it had such a big drop from 1st to 2nd. Then there’s nowhere else to go... I ran mine on the highway a good bit and even with 3.08 diff gears I just wanted an overdrive..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are use to driving modern vehicles with overdrive transmissions, it will be a little unsettling to hear and see(with a tach) the RPM’s at highway speed. My 64 had a Glide and it did what it was supposed to do but I really didn’t like it. I would shift it manually because it had such a big drop from 1st to 2nd. Then there’s nowhere else to go... I ran mine on the highway a good bit and even with 3.08 diff gears I just wanted an overdrive..
Good to know. I spoke with another forum member in my area that has a 700r4 he will sell me. That may just be one of the first things I do. Hopefully, a semi-built PG sells for a decent amount.

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
153 Posts
It's not going to hurt an engine that is in proper working condition. Like Nova Thug said, it's a little unsettling if you're used to driving modern vehicles with overdrive, but you're not going to blow it up running at 3k RPM for an hour's worth of driving. Keep in mind, a 700R4 will require tunnel mods as well as a new cross member.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not going to hurt an engine that is in proper working condition. Like Nova Thug said, it's a little unsettling if you're used to driving modern vehicles with overdrive, but you're not going to blow it up running at 3k RPM for an hour's worth of driving. Keep in mind, a 700R4 will require tunnel mods as well as a new cross member.
Well, shoot. I figured the 700 would be a direct bolt-on swap. Is this something I'd have to do when choosing any of the other transmissions with OD?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I know the 700R4 is physically a little bit bigger but I’m not sure if a tunnel mod is a given. It is physically longer and the mounting position is further back so the stock crossmember won’t just bolt up. Also, the drive shaft will need to be shortened.. Look around at others who have swapped in The TH700 R4 or the 4L60 type transmissions they are physically the same size and proportions so if any tunnel mod is a requirement you can see what you’re in for. The TH700 R4 came in a lot of vehicles so finding one shouldn’t be too difficult and you already have a contact here with one close by if that works out.

The TH200 4R is a smaller transmission and should be an easier fit but they are less plentiful so finding one will be more difficult and then they usually command a bit more dough. The 200 4R is also very desirable because it has the BOP as well as Chevrolet engine bolt pattern on the mounting flange. If you are looking for one of these transmissions they are immediately recognizable by the 10 bolt pattern on the bell housing flange. Also, be aware that there is a TH200 3 speed transmissions that isn’t what you are looking for.. It only has a 5 bolt mounting flange..
39EC4156-5796-42FA-8DBF-EF9A8454C4A2.png

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the 700R4 is physically a little bit bigger but I’m not sure if a tunnel mod is a given. It is physically longer and the mounting position is further back so the stock crossmember won’t just bolt up. Also, the drive shaft will need to be shortened.. Look around at others who have swapped in The TH700 R4 or the 4L60 type transmissions they are physically the same size and proportions so if any tunnel mod is a requirement you can see what you’re in for. The TH700 R4 came in a lot of vehicles so finding one shouldn’t be too difficult and you already have a contact here with one close by if that works out.

The TH200 4R is a smaller transmission and should be an easier fit but they are less plentiful so finding one will be more difficult and then they usually command a bit more dough. The 200 4R is also very desirable because it has the BOP as well as Chevrolet engine bolt pattern on the mounting flange. If you are looking for one of these transmissions they are immediately recognizable by the 10 bolt pattern on the bell housing flange. There are also be aware that there is TH200 3 speed transmissions that isn’t what you are looking for.. It only has a 5 bolt mounting flange.. View attachment 420255
Wow! Thanks for this information!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome, @CurtMo you're in good hands with all above! PG is still a great trans for cruising but, as mentioned, RPM will get old sooner than later with the gears. 200 or 700 a good choice for sure!

Again, welcome (y):)
Thank you! I appreciates everyones input. I am glad to know I can still cruise around for a while in the PG and have some fun

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
My 1963 Nova SS has a modified 283 and a power glide --- the entire car is stock except for the engine and I want to keep it that way. I have a 2500 rpm stall torque convertor in the power glide and wish I would have put a 3000 rpm stall in it as the engine has low torque and the car is light. Power glides were used in Corvettes, Nova's etc...Chevrolet used power glides for years in many cars. My high school Nova had a 302 in it with a power glide. I drove the High School car and my current car everywhere. My current Nova does 3000 rpm at 70 mph with 308 gears . The 350 small block will be fine with the power glide. Enjoy your new Nova. FYI the power glide was one of the strongest automatics built by GM and a lot of dragsters use modified power glides today! .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts