Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '70 without a motor or trans. Since then, I have purchased a Turbo 350 trans ($50, no converter), and a 350 ($200,no carb or distributor) out of a '93 Suburban. I would like to rebuild the motor with a little bit of extra power. I won't be taking it to the strip, but I would like a little 'LOPE' when idling. I would also like to know that my motor isn't stock when I put my foot in it. What do you guys suggest for:

1. A cam
2. An intake and carburetor
3. Pistons
4. Distributor
5. Torque converter

Thanks in advance for your time and experience,
DAVES7DNOVA

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The May 2006 edition of Super chevy had a low buck build 350. I think it came in around $2300.00 and this inclueded an engine core purchase. It made 318 HP and 365 ft lbs. They just had an upgrade to it, in the June 2006 Super Chevy, that added around $700 to the cost and now it is in the 375 HP area and 400 Ft. lbs. You should be able to find this article on their web site.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Comp 268 cam (or similar)
Edelbrock Performer intake
Holley 670 Street Avenger carb.
Stock type replacement or hyperutectics(had good luck with KB's)
Hei distributor(Summit & Jegs offer them with good coils and modules)
Don't get carried away with converter for a daily driver ( a little more than stock is ok)

This combo is similar to what I used when I first got my 69(Quadrajet carb) with 3.36 gears on street tires it ran 13.99 and got decent mileage. I had a stock converter and open differential. The engine was a bare bones cast piston stock type rebuild with the Comp cam as the only non-stock piece.
Small 1 5/8" Hedman headers with 2 1/4" Turbo mufflers all the way out the back. Quiet, but had a little lope to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
building a smb for bracket on a budget

I bought my '70 without a motor or trans. Since then, I have purchased a Turbo 350 trans ($50, no converter), and a 350 ($200,no carb or distributor) out of a '93 Suburban. I would like to rebuild the motor with a little bit of extra power. I won't be taking it to the strip, but I would like a little 'LOPE' when idling. I would also like to know that my motor isn't stock when I put my foot in it. What do you guys suggest for:

1. A cam
2. An intake and carburetor
3. Pistons
4. Distributor
5. Torque converter

Thanks in advance for your time and experience,
DAVES7DNOVA
Hello guys, I have been out of bracket racing(et) for 15 years and I know things have change over the years. I want to build another one with a smb engine but not sure these day and time what it will take. I am on a budget, and its a 88 chevy camaro with a power guilde , and a 307engine, if someone could give me a list and parts no. that would help me alot.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Don't get carried away with converter for a daily driver ( a little more than stock is ok)

This combo is similar to what I used when I first got my 69(Quadrajet carb) with 3.36 gears on street tires it ran 13.99 and got decent mileage. I had a stock converter and open differential. The engine was a bare bones cast piston stock type rebuild with the Comp cam as the only non-stock piece.
Small 1 5/8" Hedman headers with 2 1/4" Turbo mufflers all the way out the back. Quiet, but had a little lope to it.
I like this post haha. Im going to be running the same camshaft in my 350 with some flat tops and 4.10 gears I hope to hit mid 13s or lower:D

·
Registered
473 Posts

If you could track down a set of vortec heads....:yes:
More initial $ outlay, but they can be found reasonable and if you have to do springs and a valve job on the heads you have anyway it could be a cheap 30-40 HP.
just thinking..

·
Registered
645 Posts
A good reference is to go to the GM performance site or the Edelbrock site and find an engine combo that you like. Then you can print out the specs and start shopping. E-bay can be a good source for cheap or used parts. Start collecting and when you get everything you need put it all together. It hurts less when you buy over time.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Your first major expense will be restoring the old engine back to stock performance. Expect to spend $800 at the machine shop and another $600-800 in parts.
Adding good heads will be a good investment. $700 to $1500.
Then manifold, carb, distributor, headers, dual exhaust and cam/lifters. Don't forget gaskets and oil pump.

Read all 99 pages of "Kev's budget 350 thread" in Best of PT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts