Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

getting ready to assemble an engine for my sons 77 concours. he bought the engine on craigslist, mostly complete, but completely disassembled. haven't checked the bore on it yet but the pistons are stamped .030. he's not a racer, so we aren't looking for high performance, just good quality and a reasonable price - he's got lots of stuff yet to buy.

looking for recommendations on a rebuild kit, and should we get one with pistons?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a pretty pricey kit. we have a good crank, and the pistons look OK, may buy a kit with them depending on price. He really needs a master kit, doesn't have a cam, timing set, or oil pump, has pretty much everything else though.

Anybody have feedback on the summit racing kits?

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
492 Posts
For nothing more than daily driver, look into one of the stock rebuild kits from Summit or check with your local machine shop to see where they buy their parts. I haven't heard anything bad about the Summit kits. Most of them are basically a box full of individually branded parts. Most kits can be ordered/bought in many configurations ranging from just gaskets and bearings to including pistons, rods, crankshaft, camshaft, valvetrain, etc, etc. You decide how much you need.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I would suggest bring the parts to a machine shop and having them checked out. You might not need a rebuild kit.

I also got my engine on craigslist. I tore it down and brought the block, crank, pistons and rods to a good local machine shop. He checked everything out. Block and cylinders were fine, cleaned and polished crank, checked out pistons. He also sold me the new rings and bearings I needed. Turned out the rings and bearings were all I needed to buy. Total cost for parts and his time was about $250.

I did buy new (reconditioned) heads though. Cost was about $400.

8 years later engine still running great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
check out rock auto enginetech parts arent really all that bad if your just building a budget get it going cruiser.

the first rebuild i did was an enginetech kit and it was $200 shipped i drove it it for a few thousand miles.

oem crank and rods are good. guys runs these in stock car motors
old badger pistons if you can find em are solid and they can take alot of abuse trust me.

before you begin find a trust worthy machine shop and have him mic your crank from him doing that he will be able to give you basically drop in rod & main bearing, or the info you need to order cheaper parts.

you can still plasti guauge if you want

if you bring him a piston he will also be able to tell you if those are good aswell.

my second 350 cost me $80 in bearing, rings & gaskets and it lasted a year till i saved the money for my 383. it never blew up i just wanted more hp

my vortec head 383 im into it for not quit 2k (carb to pan) vs 4+k it has alot of junkyard parts but again all comes down to what you want

most machine shops or decent ones are gonna charge you about $450 to hot tank & hone a block .030, change pistons to different rods,add freeze plugs and new cam bearing. add another $80 to make a 400 crank fit a 350 block

·
Registered
8 Posts
For my money you can't beat the Eagle kits. I am seriously looking at this to build a mild 355 for my 80 Malibu. By the time you recondition stock parts, this is cheaper.
thats alot of money to pay for parts that are already in the block from chevy
for what your getting you can build that for half of that cost including machine costs lol
the kit uses a oem grade crank with basic hyper alum pistons. basically whats in every sbc
ive personally seen lots of oem cranks & rods run laps screaming at 6k and last a few rebuilds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts