Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help, just got my1974 nova fired up after a long winter of piecing it back together I have a new water pump, new intake gaskets,new 180 degree thermostat and the radiator looks clean. When I start it up it does'nt take long to reach 220 degrees. The top radiator hose is hot and the top side of the radiator is hot but the bottom hose is cool. I took top hose off and it barely pumped any water out. It acts like there is no circulation,could I have the wrong water pump.Which way do you look at the engine rotation , from the front[would be clockwise] or from the rear[counterclockwise] I can't think of anything else it could be, maybe someone else can solve it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
If you got a later model serperntine belt water pump, then yes the rotation would be wrong. You would have to take the back off the water pump and compare the impeller to your old one or a known correct one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
some mid 80s had reverse rotation pump on them u want a 70 to 78 water pump and check ur thermostat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I take the thermostat out it runs about 160,I also left the t-stat housing off and crancked it up I had plenty of water flow so the pump is working right

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
when i initially started my 377 the Brand New Mr.Gasket Hi-Flow thermostat stuck... $15.00 thermostat JUNK. bought a std $4.00 stock replacement and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts