Chevy Nova Forum banner

Holley Street Avenger 570 or Edelbrock Performer 600?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on upgrading my stock 1975 Nova SS's 350 two barrel to a four barrel setup. Already purchased a Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm and plan on mounting on an Edelbrock Performer EPS or Performer Air Gap manifold.

Anybody have a similar setup or a better setup before I finish ordering parts?

My buddy is trying to get me to ditch the Street Avenger and grab an Edelbrock 600, but I'm not sure...

WIDE OPEN TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCES!

The car is a cruise night/show car but I want it to have respectable nads. The Hedman Header/2.5 ich flowmaster 40 exhaust and advanced timing helps, but I need just a tad more!!!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I had edelbrocks for years(the run rich) and finally got talked into buying a holley.I gotta say the holley is a waaay better carb!!I will never go back to a edelbrock carb:no:
ps I have a avenger 670 and an edelbrock performer and it'll go:yes:

·
Registered
20,150 Posts
, but I need just a tad more!!!Thanks.

Maybe a 600 Holley vacuum secondary with a plain Performer RPM intake plus a 1" wooden open hole spacer. Then when you "need a tad more" you can add a cam and convertor, then a bigger carb. :yes::yes::yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Maybe a 600 Holley vacuum secondary with a plain Performer RPM intake plus a 1" wooden open hole spacer. Then when you "need a tad more" you can add a cam and convertor, then a bigger carb. :yes::yes::yes::yes:
^^^^^^^ better :yes:^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Street Avenger excellent carb.
We installed a Avenger 570 on Tim's 350/290hp engine and it runs great!

Al

·
Banned
481 Posts
I had edelbrocks for years(the run rich) and finally got talked into buying a holley.I gotta say the holley is a waaay better carb!!I will never go back to a edelbrock carb:no:
ps I have a avenger 670 and an edelbrock performer and it'll go:yes:
I'm running a 670 street avenger as well.Runs great straight out of the box.Bought it when bowtie0069 posted a thread about them being on sale picked it up for 199 bucks.Oh yaaaa.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Got a 670 Street Avenger with a performer rpm manifold and heads. Other than figuring out how to hook up the throttle cable with an appropriate bracket, no issues.

Great response, quite happy with it.

ray

·
Registered
7 Posts
Carb/manifold

The Street avenger is very tunable and a good carb, although on a mild 350 I would choose an 80508S. Cheaper and works good.
I see that you live in NJ. I would stay away from an air gap manifold as that will make your car a cold blooded SOB. I know this from personal experience.

Credentials: '86 Fiero, +400 HP Chev 350, Air Gap, Holley 80508S ( changed the jets as needed and the vac. sec. return spring to the lightest)
Also on an added note: my son and I just added the new Innovate AFR meter
(about $180) and he told me that after 10 minutes it had paid for itself.

Lusox

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a stock 350 that was 2-barrel OE setup as well. I pulled the OE intake off and went with an Edelbrock Performer EPS (non airgap) and the performer 600CFM and very happy with it. A 1" phenolic spacer and 14x3" air cleaner still fits just fine. I went with the 1406 carb and it runs very lean - I had to change rods/springs which was a 5 minute change and it runs fantastic now.

THANKS and good luck

·
Registered
1963 Nova SS and 1965 Nova
375 Posts
I'm running a 770 street avenger and rpm air gap on my mild street 350. Other than dropping the primary jets 4 sizes and the secondaries down 2 mine is daily driven and the throttle response is good and from 2500 rpm- up... Yeeee haaa!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
These are fun debates... They polarize people like politics...

I used to be an anti-Holley guy, then I was an anti-Carter (Edelbrock) guy. Now, I realize they are both great carburetors and both can give you what you're looking for as long as you understand them and have the ability to properly tune them.

That being said, I would run the Q-jet. Again, some people hate them others swear by them. I swear by them and believe that properly tuned they will not only yield as good as (or better) performance, they usually give better off-the-line performance and better fuel economy when you keep your foot out of it.

You asked for opinions...

Cheers!

Chuck

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Edelbrock carb gets a bad rap for running rich, but it doen't have to be that way.

First a little background. I've had two 700 DP setup on my blown 392 hemi and I never had to touch them other than idle stop settings for over 16k miles. They were tuned on the dyno so that was a bit of a help.

I've never owned an Edelbrock, but had several of my buddies in Michigan running them on their street rods.

Personally I'm a Demon fan, but that was not an option in the poll.

Back to the Edelbrocks running rich.

My good friend and I tried about everything on his '32 350 dual quad setup to get it to run decent at idle without smoking us out and burning our eyes in the shop. We set floats and did all the adjustments without much improvement. He had a mechanical fuel pump running at about 6 to 6.5 psi, we checked it later. He eventually called Edelbrock help line with his problem. He told them what we had done and then the guy asked how much fuel pressure were we running? We told him and he suggested an inexpensive fuel regulator and set it at 4 psi.

My buddy went to the auto parts store and purchase one. We did a nice install and mounting of it, hook it up and low and behold, no more black smoke at idle and no sore eyes.

At 6 plus psi, the needle/seat will not hold back the fuel and they will bleed over into the venturi causing the rich idle issues he had. After that his mileage went up a bit, but with dual quads on a slightly warmed over 350, he didn't expect too much.

So if anyone is having issues with a rich idel on an Edelbrock carb, check the fuel pump pressure and regulate accordingly.

More to the point of the thread, it sounds like the Holley Street Avenger carb is a good piece and fully tuneable if needed.

Good luck with your setup...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts