Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I am looking to build a 350 block I bought on a 2000-2500 budget. I would like to pull 400 or so hp while I save to buy a LS Crate. I am looking for advice on where the best bang for the buck is. the area below is an excerpt from another forum I am on that I posted the same questions. Thoughts tips tricks?
---------------------------------------
Cheap set of Vortec Heads with Comp Bee Hive springs for an easy fix and 1/2 lift with no machine work. Beehive Valve springs for the Vortec V8 - Car Craft Maga Edelbrock RPM Q-Jet Non-AirGap Intake from Summit (For a trouble free install) and a tight LSA (108) Cam to keep HP peak at or slightly below 6,000 RPM. Should produce over 420HP and be fun on the street. For a trouble free / hassle free carb get a SMI Q-Jet built for your setup and you will come in under budget

·
Registered
661 Posts
I agree with the post, vortec heads with minor bowl work, rpm air gap intake, comp xe274 or isky #201281 and beehive springs. If u want a solid go for the comp 280b-8. Should get u were u want to be.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I wouldn't put any money into a rebuilding a 350.

I would just save for the LS engine if that what you truly want to do unless its going to take you years to get your LS engine.

I would just save that 2500 bucks and you will be that much closer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't put any money into a rebuilding a 350.

I would just save for the LS engine if that what you truly want to do unless its going to take you years to get your LS engine.

I would just save that 2500 bucks and you will be that much closer.
yeah I have debated that.... I guess it will depend on how long the bodywork ends up taking me... if I can get it done in a reasonable amount of time I may rebuild this 350 and put a minimal amount of money in it only time will tell and opportunity ( if I find cheap decent parts @ a swap meet ect)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the post, vortec heads with minor bowl work, rpm air gap intake, comp xe274 or isky #201281 and beehive springs. If u want a solid go for the comp 280b-8. Should get u were u want to be.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly I am not positive.. I want something that runs hard on the street and can hang @ the track... other than that I have no set in stone goals right now

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
how much do you want out of a LS ?? 600 hp ?? you can do that with the 350 block , put in a 3.875 crank , or 4.00 crank , sure a big LS will do it , but it could be alot more expensive , custom headers , ignition ,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much do you want out of a LS ?? 600 hp ?? you can do that with the 350 block , put in a 3.875 crank , or 4.00 crank , sure a big LS will do it , but it could be alot more expensive , custom headers , ignition ,
so you guys are thinking i should just build the 350? and not worry about an LS? my long term goal for this car is to have it run 11's or so if at all possible and still run on the street. Whatever it takes me to get to that point. the only reason I was looking to go crate and probably LS is I hear they make good results for a decent price and very little hassle ( because its built and ready to drop in)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
so you guys are thinking i should just build the 350? and not worry about an LS? my long term goal for this car is to have it run 11's or so if at all possible and still run on the street. Whatever it takes me to get to that point. the only reason I was looking to go crate and probably LS is I hear they make good results for a decent price and very little hassle ( because its built and ready to drop in)
Stout lower end properly machined 355 with nice heads and a roller cam , AOD trans with properly chosen convertor and some 4.11 gears some caltracs. Should get you there.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It may take some time but you can look for a 383 stroker kit and pick the right cam with the vortecs and you'll make that hp and then some. $2500 can get you a used LS engine that runs but then there's the wiring harness, PCM, headers, etc...

you want the car to run now or in a couple of years???

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can pick up a good used LQ4 or LQ9 for $1500 or less with wiring harness, manifolds, ecm, ect. No since in spending on 2 different engines when you are planning on changing them later. BUT if you want to make a nice 400 hp sb it is pretty easy. Find a stock hyd roller block, bore it .030 over, stock rods will be fine, go with a .125 dome Speed Pro piston(none forged), get a set of Dart Iron eagle heads 200 to 215 cc, Pro Products Hurricane intake, Comp cam hyd roller CCA-08-433-8, 1.6 rockers, and 750 cfm carb. This combo will run right around $2500 or so to build and will put down right at 325 hp and 345 tq to the wheels, or 410 hp at the flex plate.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi all!
I am looking to build a 350 block I bought on a 2000-2500 budget. I would like to pull 400 or so hp while I save to buy a LS Crate. I am looking for advice on where the best bang for the buck is. the area below is an excerpt from another forum I am on that I posted the same questions. Thoughts tips tricks?
---------------------------------------
Cheap set of Vortec Heads with Comp Bee Hive springs for an easy fix and 1/2 lift with no machine work. Beehive Valve springs for the Vortec V8 - Car Craft Maga Edelbrock RPM Q-Jet Non-AirGap Intake from Summit (For a trouble free install) and a tight LSA (108) Cam to keep HP peak at or slightly below 6,000 RPM. Should produce over 420HP and be fun on the street. For a trouble free / hassle free carb get a SMI Q-Jet built for your setup and you will come in under budget
How my reply to your post became part of your post I will never understand...Jack

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How my reply to your post became part of your post I will never understand...Jack
Jack,
you gave that reply on another forum. I mentioned that in my OP that the below "your response" was givin on another forum. I was hoping to get some additional feedback on your suggestions ( which I did).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Jack,
you gave that reply on another forum. I mentioned that in my OP that the below "your response" was givin on another forum. I was hoping to get some additional feedback on your suggestions ( which I did).
Oh, I guess I just flew past that part of your post. :sleep: Jackster

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why build a 350 or an LS for your goals?

Build a pump gas 383 and put some decent heads on it and you are deep in the 11's if the rest of the car is capable.

You can build a 383 with in a couple $$ of a 350...

An LS would be fun to try, but I'm a dinasaur and where you're tryng to go a regular old small block will serve just fine

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Why build a 350 or an LS for your goals?

Build a pump gas 383 and put some decent heads on it and you are deep in the 11's if the rest of the car is capable.

You can build a 383 with in a couple $$ of a 350...

An LS would be fun to try, but I'm a dinasaur and where you're tryng to go a regular old small block will serve just fine
Now you are talking. :D:D:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It may take some time but you can look for a 383 stroker kit and pick the right cam with the vortecs and you'll make that hp and then some. $2500 can get you a used LS engine that runs but then there's the wiring harness, PCM, headers, etc...

you want the car to run now or in a couple of years???
yeah I was looking at the stroker kits just yesterday. I think that may be the route I go. I am not in a huge hurry for the car to run because I have so much work to do on the body ( lots of rust) and suspension. I want to mini tub the rear and build the 10 bolt that is in the car now. Basically backhalf the car. I am also planing on stripping the car down to bare metal so yeah its going to take a while :( Pair that with the same issue most of the folks who work on cars have ... money... I am going to have to take the save up for one part route until I hit it big ( not likely since I don't gamble.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah I was looking at the stroker kits just yesterday. I think that may be the route I go. I am not in a huge hurry for the car to run because I have so much work to do on the body ( lots of rust) and suspension. I want to mini tub the rear and build the 10 bolt that is in the car now. Basically backhalf the car. I am also planing on stripping the car down to bare metal so yeah its going to take a while :( Pair that with the same issue most of the folks who work on cars have ... money... I am going to have to take the save up for one part route until I hit it big ( not likely since I don't gamble.
For your stated goals a 383 will work nicely. Build it right, do forged pistons ect and you can add NOS later if you ever had the urge to get into the tens.

·
Registered
388 Posts
355 that will run 11's??? That shouldn't be that hard to achieve. Anybody heard of a guy on this site called Big Al?? What was his Pass Time trap time?? 10.what??:yes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts