Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up fellas,
Just wanted to know on a rebuilt motor, for first time breaking it in,if I'm using VALVOLINE VR1 as my oil which has the zzdp in in (racing oil) do I still need to put ENGINE BREAK IN OIL ADDITIVE to break the Cam in

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I would personally use cheaper oil, for the break in and then put in your additive.

You are gonna dump that oil after 30 minutes of run time any way, or 50 miles later so its kind of a waste to spend that much on VR1 imo.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I would personally use cheaper oil, for the break in and then put in your additive.

You are gonna dump that oil after 30 minutes of run time any way, or 50 miles later so its kind of a waste to spend that much on VR1 imo.
X2 I would use cheap oil with cam break in additive.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts

Yup.. Use the in-expensive stuff to run the engine in. Gonna drain it after 20-30 minutes and the build lube you used will do its job for the 20 minutes. JR

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
X-3 on the additive and I add zinc on every oil change.
And not sure the oil change is a waste. Probably the cheapest insurance you can have long term for your engine. JMO

·
Registered
448 Posts
Me personally, I wouldn't cheap out on oil for something as critical as camshaft break-in to save a couple of bucks. The last cam I broke in I used the comp cams break-in oil, not the additive, but the 10w-30 break-in oil that's sold per quart. A lot of my racer buddies swear by this stuff, especially for flat tappet cams with a lot of lift, duration, and use high valve spring pressures. No additive required.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1590/

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats up so this is where im at, just picked up some Lucas 10063 engine breakin additive its a 16Oz bottle 15.00, im gonna just stick with the vr1 since it in their already and cheaper oil is round the same price at 5.99 a qt. My thing is I have 5qts in the motor already should I take out 16Oz since im replacing it with the additive

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
JMO but the 2 cups ain't gonna make a difference. it will use oil for a bit until the valves seat anyway so i'm thinking the 2 cups are not going to be a problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No hijacking here. "please correct me if I am wrong" but I believe I read some where that the motor oil for diesel trucks has the zinc and all the other good stuff that they took out of oil for gas motors. And it was recommended for motor break ins.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
No hijacking here. "please correct me if I am wrong" but I believe I read some where that the motor oil for diesel trucks has the zinc and all the other good stuff that they took out of oil for gas motors. And it was recommended for motor break ins.
Not sure i have the answer for you but my information is that one reason the zinc is gone is because it is bad for the catalytic converters. As far as i know diesels are still running cats so I would assume the government has done away with the zinc content in the name of cleaner air...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay well addivite is in already, did a double check on the spark plugs and wires and battery and belts and dizzy connections, well I went to turn car on for first time and it won't go on, turns over but won't crank on.. iwhile its turning over all I see is little smoke come out the carburator and like a miss sound kinda

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay bringing this thread back to life, well i just came back from Vay-Kay thats why.

well today i got back to work on the car, whats been happening is that i changed my cam, p.Rods,lifters, timing chain,etc.

Car turns over but no crank, so im trouble shooting here to try to get the car to start.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since the Car doesnt start,

I took out all 8 spark Plugs , turned the motor over a couple times, to kinda get the oil up in their, also to see the rockers in action and get the feel of how its supposed to be. (CLOSED), also i put a little tissue on #1 cylinder and once im about to hit, TDC the tissue gets blown out, so what i noticed today was that when i reach TDC the TDC Mark on the Harmonic Balancer is on the passenger side at like 9 oclock..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts